Clamping a neck

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Pat.Hawkins
Myrtle

Clamping a neck

Post by Pat.Hawkins » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:30 am

Hi Folks,
I don't have one of those fancy guitar vices so just looking at ways to clamp the neck during shaping. The taper presents a problem with holding and I'm worried about the weakness due to the truss rod slot.

Any suggestions?
Cheers

mlp
Beefwood

Re: Clamping a neck

Post by mlp » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Gday Pat , I recently purchased a small Stanley vice from the big hardware store for $ 40.00 , I think. It swivels into all sorts of positions . The jaws only open to 70mm but found it very handy for carving a neck last week.
Marcus.

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Clamping a neck

Post by Allen » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:59 pm

Build yourself a jig to hold and support the neck and peg head. You can make the head angle adjustable if you build at various angles. This is one that the students use when shaping a class instrument neck. The top part of the jig has the same taper as the neck.

You can make the neck as elaborate as you want. These ones are made to clamp to a bench top, as when going on the road with a class, you never know how many bench vises will be available. If in your own workshop build it in whatever manner suits your ability to hold it stable. If you have a larger vise, then that's what I'd use to hold it with.
Neck Shapping1.jpg
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia