Small Handheld polisher

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

vandenboom
Blackwood

Small Handheld polisher

Post by vandenboom » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:41 pm

With xmas approaching I'm putting in a request for a small hand held polisher. Would like to keep cost under $200. I like allen's 3" snapon pistol buff but would prefer power to air driven plus it's a bit over my budget.
Here is a very old post with lots of good info on the subject of polishing tools & methods.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5463&p=63007&hilit=polisher#p63007

I like the idea of 3" pad but I'm struggling to find options - most tools are at least twice that size.
Any suggestions?
Also do u thnk the following milwaukee battery optipn will cut it (no pun intended)?
https://sydneytools.com.au/milwaukee-m1 ... uEALw_wcB
Thnx. Frank

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Re: Small Handheld polisher

Post by 56nortondomy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:52 pm

That's just a skin Frank unless you already own a Milwaukee charger and battery it'll run over your budget. I just use a kit I got from Super cheap 3" dia 3 buffing pads and the holder, I use it in my cordless drill, they're only about $25 to $30 or I think you can get them on ebay. If you use an air buff like Allen's you'll need a good compressor to keep up the air ( found that out the hard way, I bought one and my compressor couldn't run it I've since upgraded but I've already gotten rid of the buff ). Wayne

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Thnx Wayne. Hadn't come across the term "skin" before.
I have a drill press but nervous about using it. Would prefer hand held approach.
Will see if there are other suggestions else may resort to hand drill attachments.
Frank

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:01 am

My 3" air polisher I bought as a temporary one just as a trial, it was about $70.00 off eBay and I use 3M pads from the auto paint store.

I figured if I liked the 3" gun style then when it died I would know investing in a $300-400 quality one like I've seen at the paint stores would be a worthy investment.

The thing has never died or given me an issue, it keeps soldering on!

One piece of advice though, you want variable speed. If you don't get a variable speed one at least have a way to reduce the air to slow the buffer down as you want to get it very slow.

Now to get a bit closer to your post, I have seen professionals use a 3" fitting (should be able to get from paint shop) in a standard small chordless drill and then they use the 3M pads. Professionals being people I try to learn from and if I didn't already have mine I'd be doing it their way.

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:26 pm

I got my air polisher off ebay for about $70 too, I would've loved to use it but my compressor just couldn't push out enough air. Wayne

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:15 pm

Air buffs do use a fair bit of air. I have the largest single phase compressor available, and it does cycle on and off more than I would like. However the buff does an amazing job.

You definately need to be able to have reasonably high rpm's when required, but also control that speed to something slower to get good results.

The other low cost option is to mount a 6" or 8" foam pad into your drill press and use it on a moderate to slow speed. The larger diameter means that the suface speed of the buff will be sufficient to do the job. Howeve be aware that it's entirely possible to get a "GRAB" and fling a guitar across the room.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:09 pm

I don;'t want to risk the GRAB possibility until I get a feel for it with smaller gear.
I'm going to try 3" 3M pads in a variable speed drill.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Frank

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:52 pm

Allen wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:15 pm
I have the largest single phase compressor available, and it does cycle on and off more than I would like.

I'm curious to know what this compressor is!

I have a couple of compressors in the workshop but the one I use the 3" polisher on is a portable three head McMillan (single phase, 15a, 16.5cfm, 70lt) and it does charge occasionally but nothing that is a problem. Certainly not like runnin a sandblasted from it!