strobotuners

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

blackalex1952
Blackwood

strobotuners

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:58 pm

I use a strorbo tuner on my iPhone to do my intonation. Can someone who uses both a phone and a computer let me know the advantages of using the software version on a computer, and any pc based cheaper comparisons?- Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: strobotuners

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:06 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:58 pm
I use a strorbo tuner on my iPhone to do my intonation. Can someone who uses both a phone and a computer let me know the advantages of using the software version on a computer, and any pc based cheaper comparisons?- Ross
I use iStrobosoft on my iPhone/iPad and a fully PC version on a cheap Windows laptop. I prefer the way the menus are laid out on the computer version and having a bigger screen to look at is always nice. I have a dedicated laptop in the shop for tap tuning work so it's always set up ready to go. For those who don't have this luxury the phone.pad version may be more convenient
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:34 pm

I find AP Tuner handy for tuning type stuff. Can be calibrated, can look at different partials, can be programmed for off-sets and different temperaments. Easy to read measurements, etc.. Costs nothing to try.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:00 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:34 pm
I find AP Tuner handy for tuning type stuff. Can be calibrated, can look at different partials, can be programmed for off-sets and different temperaments. Easy to read measurements, etc.. Costs nothing to try.
I use AP mainly for setting up nut and saddle compensation
Martin

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:52 am

+1 for AP. I love the large display. And being free is quite nice.

It has a quirk that when first loaded it has a rather poor display. It is only when you expand the window that you get the proper meter display. At least this is what I have found with the version I run on a win 7 or 8 machine.
------------------
Dave

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:33 pm

I think I just wasted a bit of time with this AP software...There doesn't seem to be a version available anymore that will run on an old single core PC running win 7 pro which is my case.
I did get the oldest version I could find to start on my computer but it seems to need their hardware interface. There is refence to it being able to run on asio, which would work with my audio interface, but no download of their ASIO plug or whatever they are referring to....in short I gave up. Anyone got an idea? -Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:04 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:33 pm
I think I just wasted a bit of time with this AP software...There doesn't seem to be a version available anymore that will run on an old single core PC running win 7 pro which is my case.
I did get the oldest version I could find to start on my computer but it seems to need their hardware interface. There is refence to it being able to run on asio, which would work with my audio interface, but no download of their ASIO plug or whatever they are referring to....in short I gave up. Anyone got an idea? -Ross
Ross, my version is running on Windows 7. I might have the original program file lying around somewhere.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Ross are we talking about the same software? AP Tuner works via the computer's sound card....no need for a hardware interface that you talk off.

This is AP Tuner: http://www.aptuner.com/
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks Martin. Yes there is a company website AP Software which is a bit high end, so I was in the wrong territory here. Will try download tomorrow, I'm off to the acoustic night at Yackandandah Pub.
BTW did you get my pm, Martin?
Cheers Ross

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:24 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 pm
Thanks Martin. Yes there is a company website AP Software which is a bit high end, so I was in the wrong territory here. Will try download tomorrow, I'm off to the acoustic night at Yackandandah Pub.
BTW did you get my pm, Martin?
Cheers Ross
Got your PM Ross, will reply when I get some time to myself. Been under bosses orders most of the day :)
Martin