Luthiery Practice for Sale

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

zendo
Myrtle

Luthiery Practice for Sale

Post by zendo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:49 am

Hello,

I am thinking of selling my Classical Guitar making tools and supply of quality wood. The operative words are "thinking of" (nothing final yet) so if anyone has some ideas of how to get a good price for my set-up please let me know. I have debated the idea with myself for some time and now my age, fitness and desire is supporting the movement on to more sedate creative arts like painting and writing - sad but true. Most of my wood is top grade, much of it from Stew Mac and my tools are also top quality. I am currently making a list of everything I have. I have been thinking about eBay or Facebook - setting up a site etc. I may make one final instrument for myself before moving on.... ideas from experienced luthiers welcomed.... Thanks everyone...

Kamusur
Blackwood

Re: Luthiery Practice for Sale

Post by Kamusur » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:03 am

Barry Kerr aka jordy-2jah @ebay who is from Victoria has his luthiery business up for sale at the moment. Always been a great guy to deal with and may be able to give you some pointers.

Steve

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:22 am

Sad to see you thinking of selling up. I'm sure you'll find some willing buyers here on the forum....just put up a post in the Buy and Sell section. PM the Mods if you need any assistance. Anything that doesn't go via the forum can go on Ebay.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:45 pm

Kamusur wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:03 am
Barry Kerr aka jordy-2jah @ebay who is from Victoria has his luthiery business up for sale at the moment. Always been a great guy to deal with and may be able to give you some pointers.

Steve
Why is Barry selling up?
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Martin :
Why is Barry selling up?
Health reasons. Barry is a friend of mine.
Barry is selling as a business. He also resaws and sells wood, so a great bandsaw there with a stellite blade and probably some o/s contacts for timber supply for the resaw side of things. Barry is also offering training for a potential buyer.
Zendo:
I am thinking of selling my Classical Guitar making tools and supply of quality wood.
If I read this correctly, not selling as a business with contacts, goodwill, business name etc.. but selling tools, sundries and timber stock. Still, Barry is very approachable and would most likely offer some advise.
Cheers, Ross.
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:43 am

No idea why Martin, just noticed a couple of weeks back but Ross seems to have put the record straight.

Steve

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:42 am

blackalex1952 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:13 pm
Martin :
Why is Barry selling up?
Health reasons. Barry is a friend of mine.
Barry is selling as a business. He also resaws and sells wood, so a great bandsaw there with a stellite blade and probably some o/s contacts for timber supply for the resaw side of things. Barry is also offering training for a potential buyer.

Cheers, Ross.
That'd be a tough sell. Anyone looking to invest into a business would never buy a guitar building business, it's a bad investment, you'd be better off buying a pizza shop!

The only people who might be interested would already be builders and in which case they'd already have tools and skill set, maybe not of Barry's calibre but that can't be achieved with a short period of training either, that's the product of decades of devotion.

I have bought timber from Barry before, although we've never met in person I have seen his work. Sad to hear he's stopping for health reasons.