FREE MONEY!!!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

FREE MONEY!!!

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:49 am

Now that I have your attention....a couple of requests for all members:

1. A few of you have email addresses that are no longer valid. Could everyone please check the email addresses they have logged with the forum and update if necessary.
2. Please check your PM in boxes. Some of you have full boxes so messages are bouncing.
3. Over the next few days the Admins plan to prune out members who's accounts have been inactive for a significant length of time. At the moment were tentatively looking at culling out anyone who hasn't logged into the forum within the last 12 months.
4. In the near future we plan to solicit donations to assist in paying for the running costs of this forum. With Bob retiring from active duty we are making a few changes to the hosting arrangements for the forum and there will be some extra running costs involved.
5. If you've joined the forum but haven't posted anything and you want to remain a member then put up a post even if it's just to introduce yourselves.

Cheers and thanks The Management :)
Martin

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Re: FREE MONEY!!!

Post by lamanoditrento » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:19 am

I look forward to being able to contribute some $$, this forum is ridiculously helpful
Trent

Pat.Hawkins
Myrtle

Post by Pat.Hawkins » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:57 am

Likewise!!

It's great that you folk take the time to support and encourage us novices :)

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Okay fair enough, but where is the free money?
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:40 pm

DarwinStrings wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:41 pm
That part of the announcement was a blatant lie designed to attract everybody's attention. Next time you're down in Adelaide hit me up for a beer :)
Martin

MattW
Myrtle

Post by MattW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:43 pm

Is the Donate thread still active? Can we still donate to Bobs paypal, or is another link going up?

Cheers
Cheers

Matt

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:47 pm

Where still in the process of organizing server switches and a few other technical details. An announcement will be made in a week or two inviting donations :)
MattW wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:43 pm
Is the Donate thread still active? Can we still donate to Bobs paypal, or is another link going up?

Cheers
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:48 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:47 pm
Where still in the process of organizing server switches and a few other technical details. An announcement will be made in a week or two inviting donations :)

PS: Don't donate to the old thread...Bob will take off to Tasmania with the money and blow it all on whiskey.
MattW wrote:

Cheers
Martin

MattW
Myrtle

Post by MattW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:43 pm

Well I"ll have to visit him in about 18 years and get return on my investment :D
Cheers

Matt

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:55 am

kiwigeo wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:48 pm
kiwigeo wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:47 pm

PS: Don't donate to the old thread...Bob will take off to Tasmania with the money and blow it all on whiskey.
MattW wrote:

Cheers

Too right I will :lol:
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:01 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:40 pm
DarwinStrings wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:41 pm
That part of the announcement was a blatant lie designed to attract everybody's attention. Next time you're down in Adelaide hit me up for a beer :)
Cool! I'll just hop on the train.
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:05 pm

Be happy to claim my free beer next time I'm down your way.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:35 am

Geez, you go away for a few years and look what happens!
Haven't been active in the luthier field for a couple of years now due to ongoing family matters but that doesn't stop me dropping by occasionally to drool over everybody else's work. If I ever get back into it I can see I'm going to have to lift me game. You guys are making that hill steeper and steeper for this poor old bugger! :(
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Hey there Nick, nice to hear from you after so long. Yes some of us are still here. Bob has gone off to make whisky leaving me and Jeremy in charge. I'm taking a break from guitar making for a new house build but will be back into it once the new palace is built. I do hope you'll get back into the building....your input into the forum is missed.
Nick wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:35 am
Geez, you go away for a few years and look what happens!
Haven't been active in the luthier field for a couple of years now due to ongoing family matters but that doesn't stop me dropping by occasionally to drool over everybody else's work. If I ever get back into it I can see I'm going to have to lift me game. You guys are making that hill steeper and steeper for this poor old bugger! :(
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri May 29, 2020 2:28 pm

I have no income due to Covid or whatever it is called...and I also have an extremely limited income due to cancer but have been so grateful for this forum. This forum is a learning curve. I also am considering getting out of the game, as a casual builder due to my health issues. RATS have chewed their way into my underbench de humidifier and urinating and defacating on anything in there at the same time as breeding there. I spent over month in hospital recently due to seizures. The food alone in hospitals will kill me. That's when the rats got in. I live 20 km from the nearest hospital and also have been told NOT to drive for at least six months since I was in the hospital due to what I consider a "suck it and see" medication. I am also on heavy radioactive drugs where the hair on my body, which has, by the way, migrated from the top of my head to other places as a 68 year old. My hair is falling out due to the drugs which keep me alive, having been told that I would be dead in three months IN FRONT OF MY CHILDREN WHO WERE IN TEARS IN 2015...BY AN ONCOLOGIST! I took the medication and the guy nearly killed me. I live in the country and often cannot afford to buy food...don't believe the spin re covid. I cannot help...rather I NEED SOME MONEY to Keep making instruments and remain alive. Most of my tools are hand made. I use handtools as it is dangerous to stand over a jointer or a table saw if I am going to have an epileptic fit. I prefer hand tools to routers. Here is a survival tip due to Covid as I am in a high risk catagory...the only thing I can offer to this forum is not money but my sincerity and love...our prime minister talks about 1.5meter distances! BE PRACTICAL! Measure from your elbow from your mouth then double the figure. I can blow out a candle easily from that distance. Then measure 1.5 metres and subtract the elbow figure doubled! The prime ministers actions speak LOUDER THAN THE GOVERNMENT'S OFFICIAL POLICIES. DON'T DO THE ELBOW TOUCH GAME WHILST BREATHING ie. SPEAKING IN THE DIRECTION OF THE PERSON.!!!!
STAY SAFE out there and use common sense...stay safe people! By the way, I can no longer drink beer due to a damaged liver. For the musicians out there who are suffering under lockdown on a global scale, watch this: Google ABC iView then in the search bar put "Series 2020 Performers and the Pandemic" I have been playing the guitar since I was 8 years old and I can no longer work as a musician as well nowadays.
With LOVE, Ross
ps: Martin...I get the joke but consider it inappropriate under my circumstances :gui :dru :lol: do you get my joke my friend?
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 29, 2020 7:53 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:28 pm

ps: Martin...I get the joke but consider it inappropriate under my circumstances :gui :dru :lol: do you get my joke my friend?
Sorry to hear about your health issues Ross.....sounds like you've drawn the short straw there.

Re my OP...it was serious. The "Free Money" title was chosen simply to attract people's attention. The forum has a huge list of members who have joined and haven't logged in since. Pruning out inactive members is part and parcel of running a forum. It's one of a number of pain in the arse jobs that Jeremy and I do on a daily basis to keep the forum running smoothly. Vetting new members and checking that they're not forum spammers is one job I spend too much of my time one. Jeremy and I would love to spend more time making a few changes to this forum to make it better but right now we're both really busy with our lives outside the forum. I'm flat out in the middle of a very complex house build and Jeremy also has stuff going on in his personal life that is keeping him busy.

Tale care mate

PS: re money.......contributing to the cost of running the forum isn't compulsory and if we take into account the value of your frequent contributions to the forum..maybe you should be asking us for donations :)
Martin

terence
Gidgee

Post by terence » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:00 pm

Hi Everyone, been a long time lurker here as I have come to the realisation I lack the woodworking skills, although I still muck around with electrics a bit!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:07 pm

Thanks Terence....hope youll post up some of your work at some stage :)
Martin