tone

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

niftynevo
Gidgee

tone

Post by niftynevo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Hello all i picked up an old guitar Electric and the E low is a quarter tone lower than the fretted notes. or if you like... all the frets are a quarter tone higher than the open low E. all other strings are good. I figure i need a new bridge. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

Alain Lambert
Wandoo

Re: tone

Post by Alain Lambert » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:44 am

Could be the bridge or the NUT or a bad string.
I would start with the nut. Make sure the string contact point is at the very edge of the front of the nut and not at the back.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:18 pm

What Alain said is a good place to start. New string, check the nut. Then you can start to look at the saddle placement in the bridge. What sort of guitar style, what type of bridge? Are there individual adjustable saddles for each string? If so, it might be fixed with a saddle adjustment, rather than a whole new bridge. Show us a picture of the bridge if you need to.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:18 am

Measure the scale length on the first string then calculate, look up an online calculator or use a phone app like the one I use (an iphone one called "fret calc").
You can then measure the fret spacings and the first fret to the nut distance on that string. All of the previous tips re nut and bridge apply here as well. Make sure that the string is new as well. Make sure the string contact point is at the very edge of the front of the nut and not at the back. Cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:50 pm

niftynevo wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:04 pm
Hello all i picked up an old guitar Electric and the E low is a quarter tone lower than the fretted notes. or if you like... all the frets are a quarter tone higher than the open low E. all other strings are good. I figure i need a new bridge. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D
Quarter tone or quarter semi tone?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:11 pm

It's an electric guitar? What make and model? Can you post a pic of the instrument?
Martin