Australian Guitar Making School - Students blog

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Australian Guitar Making School - Students blog

Post by Steve.Toscano » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi all.
Crazy few months here, over the xmas break I relocated my workshop from Newcastle to Sydney (Hornsby) and opened up a branch of the Australian Guitar Making School where i teach and guide students to make their own guitar/s in self paced weekly 4hr classes.

For those interested in how we build at the AGMS one of my students has been blogging about his progress, check it out here: https://herbiesguitar.wordpress.com/

Herbie's guitar is number 624 of student built instruments in the AGMS group.

Cheers
Steve

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Australian Guitar Making School - Students blog

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Trent, I notice the truss rod hole in the UTB is drilled after the brace is glued in rather than before brace is fitted as in Trevor's books. I usually forget to drill the hole and end up drilling it post brace glue in. Is there a reason you do it this way?
Martin

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:06 am

kiwigeo wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:44 pm
Trent, I notice the truss rod hole in the UTB is drilled after the brace is glued in rather than before brace is fitted as in Trevor's books. I usually forget to drill the hole and end up drilling it post brace glue in. Is there a reason you do it this way?
David :lol: :lol: :lol:
No real reason, except it was the way i learnt to do it and honestly have not felt a need to change.
I made my first falcate braced guitar prior to "the books" being released (taught by Strato Anagnostis), so my original learning's were not as per Trevors methods but Strato's.

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:31 am

Nice work on this guitar. It was interesting to see it built on a work board instead of an outside mold.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:50 pm

yeah, i build my steel string guitars on a solera - but NOT spanish heel.
Only use the mold for gluing linnings to sides. Then the sides are glued to the soundboard (which already has the blocks attached).
Bit of a different way to how most would build, but i find this method much easier for students to get everything aligned.