New Luthier Tips du Jour video - Laminating sides

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

New Luthier Tips du Jour video - Laminating sides

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:19 am

Here is the latest Luthier Tips du Jour video - In this video I show how to laminate sides without an electric vacuum pump. This video as well as all my other videos are available via my website, http://www.obrienguitars.com/videos , LMI's website or on youtube.

youtu.be/
www.obrienguitars.com

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Re: New Luthier Tips du Jour video - Laminating sides

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:07 pm

I have tried all sorts of laminating methods and glues. The water based glues, eg Hot Hide Glue, do not set in a vacuum. So that means that laminated sides need to be male and female molds, or using an air inflated fire hose to press the laminations into a single mold. I like the idea of HHG over epoxy glue or urea formaldehyde the following reasons: 1) The toxicity of the other glues. 2) The curing time requires that the vacuum be maintained for the duration of the cure, which generally means that the process needs to be supervised in case of a vacuum bag leak-which is time consuming. 3) HHG is the only glue that I know of which can be reheated to fix any voids or bubbles in the laminations.
4) HHG is bio degradable.
I am interested in your opinions regarding these points, and also interested in methodology for getting male and female mold to accuarely match each other. I am also interested if anybody has any experienced opinions regarding the tonal implications of HHG vs the other modern glues, especially when used for backs, as Selmer Maccaferris and others used back in the day. Cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanks for introducing us to the hand-pump vacuum system. Do you think this could be used with something like the LMI vacuum bridge clamp? I have been keen to use vacuum clamping for bridges, but I don't have much need for vacuum clamping in other situations. For instance, I am very happy with go-bar clamp system for bracing. I have been put off by the cost of an electric vacuum pump (especially postage to Australia from offshore suppliers). This would be great if it works with that kit.

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:56 am

I do not see why the hand pump method couldn't be used with the LMI bridge clamp. I have never tried it though.
www.obrienguitars.com