Mirocat 3220 opinions

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

farnx
Gidgee

Mirocat 3220 opinions

Post by farnx » Fri May 11, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi every one.
Im new to the forum and still a novice when it comes to guitar building.
i have build 3 telecaster solid body electrics from scratch including the neck and fret board. Now i am in the process of building my own design.
Anyway i just wanted a few thoughts on finishing options, i have been using Automotive 2pac clear coat for my previous build but i want to start mixing my own colours.
Locally i can get mirocat 3220 gloss top coat but just wanted some opinions on the product or if there is a better choice.
One thing i like about the 2pac clear is after 48 hours i can wet sand and buff it out.
How long would i have to wait to wetsand and buff with mirocat 3220?
Thanks

vandenboom
Blackwood

Re: Mirocat 3220 opinions

Post by vandenboom » Fri May 11, 2018 6:26 pm

If u check the tutorials u will find an excellent detailed outline of Allen McFarlen's finishing process using Mirocat. In short he recomends leaving it about 2 weeks before final cut & polish. But there is likely to be a few stages prior to that.

farnx
Gidgee

Post by farnx » Fri May 11, 2018 7:29 pm

ok great i shall check that out now.
thankyou.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Fri May 11, 2018 8:30 pm

Mirotone Mirocat is a quality lacquer. It depends on many factors as to time frame for buffing out - humidity and temperature, coat thickness, number of coats etc, but you can certainly count on more than the 48hrs you mentioned!

Allen now uses a different Mirotone product he mentioned in another thread, a pre-cat poly coating called Mirothane. This has a faster curing time and he feels is superior to the 3220 again, so may be worth considering.

Jeremy.