#013 "3 Planks" guitar build - "Lucky"

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

slowlearner
Blackwood

#013 "3 Planks" guitar build - "Lucky"

Post by slowlearner » Mon May 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Haven't been around this forum for a while. However, thought you all might be interested in some of the nutty things I've been up to. I asked a bunch of questions about hollow body bass guitars a few years back and ended up with this...

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8113

It came from this guitar...

Yes it's a horror story. It's a working prototype. A friend of mine called it, "skeletor" and the name has sort of stuck. The basic idea behind the guitar came from a few random ideas I've had running around in my brain for a few years. Some of you might have had the misfortune to witness those ideas in other builds, but here's the collection...
A. Most electric guitars/basses are way too heavy.
B. Most electric guitars have totally over-engineered bodies.
C. The body on an electric should be effected by the tension of the strings in a measurable way.
D. I hate making neck pockets.
E. I dislike gluing/machining headstocks, scarf joints, etc, etc.
F. I want to build faster with less individual construction steps.
G. I want to build a guitar with less timber, ie. just "3 Planks" of wood.

So, what I've ended up with is an electric guitar without a neck pocket, without a glued/machined headstock, with lightweight/tensioned body wings. Additionally, I can disassemble the whole thing in 10 minutes with a screw driver. I'd like to think Leo Fender would be kinda chuffed to see something so easily produced, light, repairable and durable. There were only 3 things that needed gluing on the bass in the link above; fingerboard; neck laminates; laminated bridge. As far as the neck joint goes, it relies on steel's superior sheer strength.

Build #013 - "Lucky"
I recently started a 3 piece blues band; guitar, harp, drums. I'm playing on a NR firebird copy I made last year call the "Slydebird", but I think I need a backup instrument for gigs because it's nearly impossible to find an electric with a flat (unradiused) fingerboard and I need it for my playing style. So, I'm building some sort of semi-nostaligia shaped "3 Planks" guitar with a flat fingerboard, P100 PU and set of headless tuners a friend gifted to me. Some sort of trapeze style bridge. Here's the timber I have at the moment.

Started with this nasty piece of chinese elm I scavenged from log from our local school. Ripped, jointered, thicknessed and turned out nice.

Neck: one piece, Chinese Elm. Was tempted to laminate it, but it's so hard and straight grained I'll risk it.
Board; Unidentified Eucalypt. Scavenged from a tree in my front yard.
Body; Kauri Pine. Recycled Sunday School pew.

Not super sure on body shape yet, I'm thinking Flying V or something like that. I'll draw up a plan in the next few days. I'm hoping for a body style as aesthetically pleasing as the 6 string bass.
Pete

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: #013 "3 Planks" guitar build - "Lucky"

Post by kiwigeo » Mon May 14, 2018 1:51 pm

Nice to hear from you Pete. Opinions on your latest builds? Um..."rustic" for want of a better word :)
Martin

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Mon May 14, 2018 8:45 pm

Thanks mate, love an honest reaction.
Pete

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Fri May 18, 2018 9:04 am

Some more "rustic" horror to entertain you...

Draft one = looks like a Saw horse = fail

Generally musings for draft two... hmmm.

Draft two = finally something is working. Lots more drawing, details and elevations to do yet. I'll let you all imagine what terrible thing I'm doing in the name of neck and body joints.

And yes, this will get a bolt on headstock to. :)
Pete

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Fri May 18, 2018 10:25 am

Yep - this is going to be pretty interesting. When you are going this far off the beaten path nobody will be able to say you have done it wrong (as long as the thing is playable). I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Fri May 18, 2018 1:45 pm

Mark McLean wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:25 am
When you are going this far off the beaten path nobody will be able to say you have done it wrong...
LOL, I think you're underestimating people's sense of self-righteousness. :wink:

But yes, it's well off the track. I was relating to my wife the other day that I look at things and automatically think, "surely that can be better designed."

She rolled her eyes and said, "You're probably wrong."

That attitude only serves to spur me on. :twisted:
Pete