Room dehumidifiers

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rocket
Blackwood

Room dehumidifiers

Post by rocket » Tue May 15, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi all, i'm looking at purchasing a dehumidifier and hoping to narrow the field a tad by benefiting of your experience.
There a so many to choose from, desiccant/ refrigerant , being situated in Melbourne and a cooler clime i think that a desiccant type might be the go. Does anybody have any recommendations either way?

Cheers

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Room dehumidifiers

Post by kiwigeo » Tue May 15, 2018 10:05 pm

Covered in this thread Rod. I got my unit from the mob that Allen mentions...viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7583&p=83069&hilit= ... ier#p83069
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed May 16, 2018 5:49 am

Can't recommend then enough. Great company to deal with.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Luke72
Wandoo

Post by Luke72 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:16 pm

I've been thinking the same thing. Dehumidifiers??? I decided to get a desiccant type, being in Melbourne also, i have read these are better for the cooler climate. I'll let you know how it all goes when i get it.
I did a test with the de-humidification function on the portable air conditioner unit and it was useless... and cold... and did i mention useless.. :?

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Thu May 17, 2018 12:45 pm

I have a DeLonghi compressor dehumidifier in Tasmania, and it works fine in a 5 x 4 metre room which I try to keep around 45% RH. I find that I use it more in summer when it's warm, than in winter. When it's cold, I find just having a heater on brings RH down to acceptable levels. Desiccant dehumidifiers are recommended for cooler conditions, but I wonder to what extent the greater heat output of that type of dehumidifier contributes to the lowering of the RH, compared to the contribution of the desiccant.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

Luke72
Wandoo

Post by Luke72 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:22 pm

I got my desiccant dehumidifier today, ran it for a few hours and was absolutely amazed at how quickly it bought my 3.5m x 3.0m room down from 60% RH to 45% RH, and took around 650ml water out of the air. Very happy.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue May 22, 2018 9:59 am

Luke72 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:22 pm
I got my desiccant dehumidifier today, ran it for a few hours and was absolutely amazed at how quickly it bought my 3.5m x 3.0m room down from 60% RH to 45% RH, and took around 650ml water out of the air. Very happy.
Sounds like Melbourne :mrgreen:
Martin

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue May 22, 2018 8:12 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:59 am
Luke72 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:22 pm
Sounds like Melbourne :mrgreen:

Ha Ha Martin

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Valben
Myrtle

Post by Valben » Wed May 23, 2018 9:22 am

Hi All,
I do not control humidity in the working area but I have a humidity controlled wood storage room (about 2x 3.5m).
My shop (a garage actually) is nearby the ocean , generally quite humid but variable (from 45 to 85%) according to the wind direction, a couple of times I have seen the hygrometer up to 90%.

The humidity control system is based on a cheap 12lt dehumidifier, a temperature/humidity probe, a zib-bee smartpulg with relevant smarthub connected via wi-fi to the home internet router.
The system works really well and I am able to keep the humidity just around 50% with the water reservoir that needs to be emptied one or twice a week when the outside environment is very humid.
I have a remote interface app on my phone (MiHome) that allows receiving high humidity alarms (usually when water reservoir is full  and need to be emptied) and verify the room conditions as well as totalizing the energy consumption with the capability to start/stop manually the dehumidifier from remote.

The overall cost for this system is around 300NZD including the cost of the de-humidifier. Some info here below:

1) Celsius 12ltr DeHumidifier (was 220NZD at The Warehouse)

2) Zigbee T/H Probe( about 18NZD)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Xiaomi- ... 4c4dj64oQD

3) Zigbee Smart Plug (about 19NZD)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origina ... 4c4dRu1R5i

4) Smart Gateway (about 37NZD) :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Update- ... autifyAB=0

5) I have actually also installed a smart wireless smoke detector (@ 38NZD) which provides remote alarming via the same smart gateway, which can alos manage a wifi camera with remote access:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-Or ... 4c4dj64oQD

I am including some pictures to show some of the components and remote screen and example of the automation page.

The system function really well, not too expensive and easy to install and program.

Happy to help with any additional info.
Attachments
1Dehumidifier Celsius.jpg
2T-H probe.jpg
3Smartplug.jpg
MiHome 1.jpg
MiHome 2.jpg
MiHome 3.jpg

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu May 24, 2018 4:03 pm

There's one warning indicator missing from that iphone control panel..."Wife in Workshop!".
Martin

Valben
Myrtle

Post by Valben » Fri May 25, 2018 9:27 am

A camera with motion detection and a jpg of wife would do the job :-)

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:45 pm

I made this post a while back.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7612&hilit=dehumidifier
The mod works well, and the sensors are in amongst the timbers therefore read the RH remotely from the machine. My wood storage is underbench with the dehumidifier in the cupboard, due to space and shed insulation issues. Dehumidifying a small enclosure is also more efficient power consumption wise. Most small dehumidifiers which have a water collection tray can also be connected to a hose which in my case, goes down a little hole in the floor of the cupboard and outside the building. To prevent mud wasps which are very prevalent here from blocking up the pipe, I have some wire inside the pipe opening which acts like a tea strainer I once saw which goes into the spout of a teapot and strains the tea leaves but allows the water to pass through.
The added sensors and external controller also allow the machine to be set below the inbuilt 50%RH limit. I can do 30% if I want to. Also the controller is mounted on the wall above the bench and is easily accessible without having to access the machine via the cupboard. It also has the effect that I never have to restart the machine due to it's internal electronic control board. If the power supply goes off, I just plug the thing in again and the controller does the job without having to go through resetting the machine. This is because, when the water tub is removed or the microswitch bypassed as in my post, the machine is designed to just restart when the tub is replaced. If this particular model of machine has input power turned off it needs to be reset and restarted via the control panel. In my case when power is restored the thing just starts again. I have the external controller wired to the same power input as the dehumidifier itself. When the connector to the controllers internal switch is removed from where I mounted it on the machine the Delonghi returns to its normal operation and I can deploy it in the house without the external controller. It simply runs the way the manufacturer designed it, for domestic use.
-Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"