8 String bocote falcate braced nylon string crossover guitar

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

johnparchem
Blackwood

8 String bocote falcate braced nylon string crossover guitar

Post by johnparchem » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:05 am

I am ready to start cleanup and finish prep on this Bocote\Lutz spruce 8 string crossover commision. The 2 extra strings will be bass strings. I will have to play to see how low to go. The player would like to go down in fourths from the low E. I know I can make the 7th string a D and the 8 string an A and have it sound good with still useful strings. I started with the Gore medium size guitar and adjusted it for 8 nylon strings. The guitar has a 14 fret join, so I made the scale 660 mm to push the saddle down a bit. The neck has close to steel string spacing on a 55 mm nut and typical classical spacing on the bridge. The guitar will be played more like a lead guitar (thus the 14 fret join) than a classical. The player wanted the nylon string sound. It certainly is a somewhat unique instrument. I am interested to hear what it sounds like. I will install a K&K pure pickup, as it will be used in performances.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: 8 String bocote falcate braced nylon string crossover guitar

Post by Mark McLean » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:38 am

I love the design, love the bocote/lutz combination, but I especially love the really blonde colour of the neck timber. What is that? I matches so well with the spruce, contrasts nicely with the bocote.
It is great that you are getting commissions for interesting and unusual designs. But it must be a bit nerve-wracking to be in uncharted territory on a customer's job. I only build for myself - so if my experiments fail it is a private affair.