Shaping rasp

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

jessej
Gidgee

Shaping rasp

Post by jessej » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi,

I'm just starting out and would like to know which rasp I should buy for shaping necks. I'm on a limited budget as I'm buying lots of other stuff. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Shaping rasp

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:42 pm

The dragon rasps sold by Stewmac are good https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/T ... _Rasp.html

If you've got a bit of loot then these babies are the bee's knees https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4094/auriou-rasps

I have both the Dragon and Auriou rasps in my arsenal and they all get lots of use.

For rough shaping I use a couple of spoke shaves I picked up at a second hand in NZ for $15 each. I also have a set of Veritas spoke shaves that are lovely to work with.
jessej wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:53 pm
Hi,

I'm just starting out and would like to know which rasp I should buy for shaping necks. I'm on a limited budget as I'm buying lots of other stuff. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse
Martin

jessej
Gidgee

Post by jessej » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks Martin,

The Auriou rasps look good. Which one would you chose if you could only get one to start with? The Dragons have good reviews too. StewMac only has large course rasps in stock, not fine. I would be happy with either brand, just a matter of availability, price and shipping cost and time.

Jess

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:11 am

Hi Jesse.

I use a mix of spokeshave, chisels, rasp and general files - all depending on the size of instrument and to some extent, the timber I'm working with. That's not to mention sandpaper as well!

The chisels are used to rough shape the heel, while the spokeshave to facet the neck from square. If I had to pick a single "rasp" tool on a small budget though, I'd be hard pressed to go past my Microplane's. They make quick work of most timbers and leave a good finish. They are far superior to a regular surform. I use the 8" versions. See here:

https://www.carbatec.com.au/search?Prod ... microplane

There are very nice hand cut European files out there, but they are not included in any budget discussion - likewise good spokeshaves and chisels. Regular bastard files etc while useful for finishing, would take all day to remove the bulk of waste. I've not tried the Dragon rasps Stewmac sell. In theory, with a flat and half round Microplane, you could carve an entire neck quite easily.

You'll also need sandpaper... Anyway, these are my techniques and tools at any rate. No doubt there will be others.

Hope it helps.

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:26 pm

I continually purchase new and different tools and recently got a Japanese Shinto saw rasp which I used on my most recent build. As well as the tools mentioned in previous posts, I also use scrapers. The StewMac Ultimate Scrapers are my favourites.
Ken

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:00 pm

So, Jesse - are we helping you? More opinions than you can poke a sharp tool at. I also use the Stew-Mac dragon rasps, and the Microplane (large round), and often also a Veritas spokeshave. But many tools will get the job done for you. Cabinet scrapers are good for the final stages of smoothing. Neck carving is one of the best parts of the whole build. Just keep measuring, or comparing to contour templates, as you go.

Pat.Hawkins
Myrtle

Post by Pat.Hawkins » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi Jesse,
I still feel I'm in the beginner category.
(Not too many builds).
I really like the flat and round microplanes but I believe I ruined my first pair on blackwood and applying too much downward force. They don't cut very well now as I've probably flattened the teeth.
Good tool - just poor technique :(
Cheers

jessej
Gidgee

Post by jessej » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:38 am

Hi all,

Definitely helping thanks! I guess the best way to go is try different things and see what works for me. I have some cheaper rasps etc an old spokeshave and some cabinet scrapers. I'm might just buy one new tool and go from there.

Thanks again.

Jess