Trevor Gore Modal Tuning Course - Sydney

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Trevor Gore Modal Tuning Course - Sydney

Post by Steve.Toscano » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi all.
For anyone interested, here's a great opportunity to extend your guitar design knowledge with the guy who literally wrote the book on the subject.

Trevor Gore will be running one of his 3 day Modal Tuning courses in my workshop later this year.

Some dot points about the course:

• Guitars radiate sound from their vibrating parts, mainly the top plate
• If a guitar top vibrates in a different way, it produces a different sound
• The different ways a guitar top vibrates are called modes
• If the modes are tuned to resonate at particular frequencies with particular amplitudes, we can shape the way a guitar sounds
• In this workshop we explore the theory and practice of mode tuning to help you achieve the sound you want from your guitar

Course Content

• How strings drive your guitar
• Visualising and understanding modes of vibration
• Relating modes of vibration to guitar frequency response curves
• Measuring frequency response curves
• Relating frequency response curves to generic guitar types (classical, flamenco, steel string rhythm, steel string finger picking)
• Introduction to theory of modal vibrations
• Mechanical impedance and admittance
• Targeting the “right” modal frequencies and avoiding the wrong ones
• Requirements of a guitar as a static and dynamic structure
• Measuring material properties so that you can make the best of the wood you have rather than wishing for the wood you would like
• Bracing schemes for backs and tops
• Practical tuning of guitar modes: Moving from “as built” to “to design”

When: Over 3 days. Saturday 6th October, then the following Saturday/Sunday 13th and 14th October 2018. 9am - 5pm each day. With a dinner out somewhere local on the night of the 13th.

Where: The Toscano Guitars / Australian Guitar Making School - Sydney workshop in Hornsby NSW. North west side of Sydney, 3 minutes from the M1 Motorway. There is a reasonably priced motel close by for anyone traveling.

How Much: $750. a $250 deposit is required, the remaining $500 payable prior to 1st October.

Only locked this in 8 days ago, and it's already half booked up, so i don't expect there to be spots open for very long.

To book a spot or for any further info please contact me by reply below, private message, or give me a call on the number here: https://toscanoguitars.com.au/contact/

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Trevor Gore Modal Tuning Course - Sydney

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks Steve.

For anyone with even a slight interest in Gore and Gilet's "The Books" then this is a chance to meet Trevor and let him change your whole approach to building.
Martin

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks Martin.
2 spots available for anyone interested.

Davelang
Gidgee

Post by Davelang » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:45 pm

:cl This is wonderful course. I just completed the class at Robbie OBriens shop in Denver. Trevor has a gifted no stress crystal clear way of explaining this challenging topic and explains it in a way that appeals to the math nerds, math challenged and those that just want to use the technique to build a mode tuned guitar. Highly recommended.