Neck Thickness

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Neck Thickness

Post by Dave M » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:23 am

I have inadvertently taken my neck down to 15.4 mm around the 1st fret. It will get a bit thinner at the zero fret position. This a Steel string done in Mahagany. Is this too thin? Do I have to consider glueing on a veneer or is this going to work? It really feels very thin to me. I have already put a lot of work into this neck to get the geometry right so would love to be able to use it. It is also down to 17 m at the 10th fret which I guess is not so problematic.

Help please!

As an aside I have found that this mahogany is very 'chippy' . I am not looking forward to the heel carving. I am more used to using 'Cedrella' which I have found much more friendly to carve.
------------------
Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Neck Thickness

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:49 am

My only thought.....its purely asthetic until that first little pin hole appears and starts getting bigger as you interesect the truss rod channel :mrgreen: Bear in mind also that the fretboard will add to the thickness of the completed neck.
Dave M wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:23 am
I have inadvertently taken my neck down to 15.4 mm around the 1st fret. It will get a bit thinner at the zero fret position. This a Steel string done in Mahagany. Is this too thin? Do I have to consider glueing on a veneer or is this going to work? It really feels very thin to me. I have already put a lot of work into this neck to get the geometry right so would love to be able to use it. It is also down to 17 m at the 10th fret which I guess is not so problematic.

Help please!

As an aside I have found that this mahogany is very 'chippy' . I am not looking forward to the heel carving. I am more used to using 'Cedrella' which I have found much more friendly to carve.
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:29 am

Mahogany is a dream to carve compared to most timbers, you should try carving a Ebony or Wenge neck, you’ll love Mahogany after that!

Just my personal opinion, yes that’s too thin to be comfortable. Assuming you’re including fingerboard thickness in that measurement. If you’re worried about it maybe make a new neck, if you want to salvage it you could maybe use a heap of bog to thicken it up andcpsint solid, but that’s pretty dodgy, making a new one is probably a better option.

On my “thin” electrics I carve to 19mm at the first fret and I like my acoustics to be at least a millimeter or two thicker. I have made acoustics with thinner necks and I just didn’t vibe with the feel. Acoustics like a bit more meat, again, only my opinion. Thicker necks are also more resistant to temperature/humidity changes etc also.

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:52 am

If a low profile 2 way truss rod is used (Say Stewmac) then channel depth required is 9.52mm plus cover strip thickness say 1.5mm gives a depth of 11.02mm leaving a clearance at the 15.5mm neck thickness of 4.48mm. This should be OK.

Or, a standard 2 way truss rod (Stewmac) is 11.1 plus cover strip 1.5mm gives 12.51mm, leaving a clearance at the 15.5mm neck thickness of 2.9mm. This may be Ok , however, I would be more comfortable using the Low profile type Truss Road in your situation.

Regards
Wayne

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:35 am

I didn't explain too well... this is the neck without fingerboard. I have a minimum of around 6 mm to the truss rod groove so that should be OK.

I take the comments on neck feel but my real concern is whether it is going to be strong enough. I guess I could leave the fretboard at 6.5 to add a bit, but there is still that section under the nut left a bit thin.

I was wondering if anyone takes theirs down to this thickness...?
------------------
Dave

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:24 am

You’ve got nothing to worry about. When you said neck thickness that’s usually inc board! If you’re at 15mm and add a 6.5mm board, that’s plenty thick and 5mm beneath the truss rod slot is ample.

I drum sand my fingerboards to 6.5mm and then radius from there, when radiusing i dont loose much center thickness.

May I ask why you’re carving the neck before the fingerboard is on? It’s ususlly carved after, so you can carve back to the fingerboard. There’s always more than one way to do a job, so I’m not saying it’s wrong, I’m just curious on your thinking behind doing it that way.

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:28 pm

I was wondering if anyone takes theirs down to this thickness...?
The thickness below the truss rod channel on my SS String guitars is around 4 to 5mm near the nut. I also carve a volute in the neck for extra strength. The truss rod adjustment is also at the nut end. Refer to photo.

All should be OK for your guitar neck build.

Regards
Wayne
Attachments
Neck volute.JPG

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Thanks for the reassurance. It was just a moment of panic seeing this slender piece of timber and thinking of all the stress it would be carrying.

Alan I don't think I would even try a harder neck material! Also I am simply following the G&G methodology. Previously I was blending the tapered neck shaft into the headstock. I am now carving the heel down to about the 10 fret. Having the neck shaft square at this point makes it easy to grip. Then I shall glue on the radiussed fretboard and shape the neck shaft as you say to meet the fretboard, plus any adjustments at the heel, and the transition to the shaped headstock.

The mahogany is behaving much better under the chisel than I expected.
Attachments
heel carve small.jpg
------------------
Dave