Pore fill Bindings

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Pore fill Bindings

Post by Dave M » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:05 am

Do people pore fill bindings?

I have a maple back & sides steel string on the bench and am pore filling the mahogany neck, the rosewood headstock veneer and the relatively broad rosewood tail graft, all of which have pretty obvious pores. The bindings are the usual around 6 mm deep by 2 mm width and being rosewood have the usual quite deep pores but they are a bit tricky to do the usual pore filling stuff. Given the maple I don't have to do pore filling on the back and sides. I use a traditional oil based filler on the mahogany and although not liking it that much Aquacote on the rosewood. I have spread some on the bindings today but don't suspect it has done much.

I just wonder how other people treat pore heavy wood used for bindings...? (Given that we know nitro will always sink into whatever little gaps you offer it!)
------------------
Dave

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Re: Pore fill Bindings

Post by lamanoditrento » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:01 am

I find the acquacote needs at least 4 or 5 applications. Also, make sure you seal with shellac first otherwise some colour can bleed into the filler while your squeegying or rubbing it in and you end up patches of a slightly opaque filler rather than clear.

But actually at the moment, I am loving the azeotropic pore fill of shellac and acetone
Trent

simso
Blackwood

Re: Pore fill Bindings

Post by simso » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:03 pm

I always pore fill any open grained wood used for bindings, and the gaps between the bindings and sides / top / back can drive you nuts with nitro constantly sinking.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html