Well, here we are, what now?!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nkforster
Blackwood

Well, here we are, what now?!

Post by nkforster » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:26 am

Well, when I first visited Oz in 2013, I was really struck with the place. My daughter was living and working in Melbourne, and I travelled up to do Trevor Gore's course up in the Blue Mountains. I had a great time, and I've been thinking about moving here ever since. Well, the wife had the points to get in, not me, so we applied last year. She's a teacher.

We landed in Gold Coast last week, looks like the wife has a job already, next step is to find a workshop. We're planning on living in the south end of the GC, probably around Mudgeeraba or Canungra. Any of you fellers in the area?

The tools and timber will take a few months to arrive, but finding a place and getting a workshop set up will take time too. But I could do with getting a few basic tools in the meantime. Where can a feller get a decent chisel? I'll be needing a jointer too, sold my old one in Germany. Any suggestions? How about a cheap bandsaw, any decent ones? And I've a question about Aussie woods also - which one makes a decent neck - I always feel I've not enough neck wood. Anything available here that comes close to mahogany? If not, who are the best mahogany importers to deal with?

Ta in advance for any answers.

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Well, here we are, what now?!

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:41 am

Welcome to Australia Nick. I'm sure you can't wait to get some tools and wood but more importantly you have to first decide which AFL team you're going to support :mrgreen:
Martin

GregL
Blackwood

Post by GregL » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:44 am

Hi Nick,

Welcome!
Firstly, you will have to come to terms with WAY more humidity and humidity swings than you are used to! (ie we had 70% RH range a few days ago!)
Second, Carbatec seems to have basic tools at reasonable prices - I'm sure there's one in Brisbane. And local mail-order only takes about 3-4 days - internet search is your friend!
Third, there seem to be a few makers around the GoldCoast area, I'm sure they'll speak up soon. I'm more of a spectator these days (near Lismore in northern NSW) and Micheal Connor (Localele) - ukes plus woodworker extraordinaire - is just up the road.

Thanks,
GregL.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:02 pm

Machinery house is good for larger machines than those supplied by carbatec, quality but expensive machines can be purchased from gregorys machinery up in qld, costs a fortune to have good machines shipped from them to perth, so jealous on that front.

Qld maple is a good hard wood, we have plenty of access to fiji mahogany at local lumber yards here in perth, so I use that.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Fisherman
Blackwood

Post by Fisherman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:03 pm

Welcome! Wonderful news and it sounds like everything is falling into place nicely.

For neck wood i would highly recomment qld maple - lovely stuff and grows in qld... if u find a good source for it id be keen to know as i am looking to get some blanks. Silkwood may be another good local option.

I used blackwood on my latest guitar and it was a bit harder and heavier but made for a good neck.

Re local builders i think lance litchfield is not far from the gold coast - he is one of the best classical guitar builders in Aus. I dont think he is on the forum but he has a website and may have some good timber supplier suggestions if u contact him.

Fisherman
Blackwood

Post by Fisherman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:10 pm

Forgot to mention. Australian red cedar - Toona ciliata var. australis - is almost identical to spanish cedar (and both mahoganies... go figure!). side by side very hard to tell apart. Only thing is to be careful with the dust. Pretty easy to track down qrtr sawn boards at lumber yards or timber shows.

Just dont source it off gumtree... i sent money but never received timber from some bloke up in Qld a while back.

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi Nigel

Welcome to Os.
+1 Michael Connor (Localele) I would suggest a PM to Michael details under membership.
Great collection and knowledge of Australian timbers. In northern NSW not all that far from
the Gold Coast just make sure you have GPS.

Bruce
Bruce Mc.

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Welcome to Oz, Nigel. I came here for a two year working holiday.........in 1984!
There's Australian Luthier Supplies in Mount Tambourine, not far from you and a beautiful area. They'll be able to advise you tools and timbers. They are too pricey for me though.
And I know there's a good house coming on the market soon in Ormeau. 8)
Ken

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:37 am

Nigel

You may also like to check out Australian Guitar Timbers, Website, David Linton, 60 Denning road, Maleny QLD 4552. About 1 1/2 hour drive from Brisbane and see his timber mill. Worth a visit, contact David Linton and make an appointment.

Wayne

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks fellas. What's the stuff they sell in Bunnings? I was in yesterday, and they had a dark mahogany-like board - looked like it was for decking or something, (lightly grooved one side) about 80mm x 20mm x 2000mm. This stuff looked decent and was highly figured! The display was a bit disorganised and there was no price ticket to tell me what it was.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:41 pm

nkforster wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:34 pm
Thanks fellas. What's the stuff they sell in Bunnings? I was in yesterday, and they had a dark mahogany-like board - looked like it was for decking or something, (lightly grooved one side) about 80mm x 20mm x 2000mm. This stuff looked decent and was highly figured! The display was a bit disorganised and there was no price ticket to tell me what it was.
Could be Merbau or Kapur. Used a lot for decking. doors etc. Theure both tropical rain forest woods and endangered imports so I avoid using it if I can. Disorganized and no price ticket...you definitely must have been in Bunnings. For decent tools look elesewhere :)
Martin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Welcome down under Nigel.
If you are interested in second hand tools and equipment you should get onto Gumtree, which is a local version of a Craigslist-style online marketplace. Make a dehumidifier one of your first purchases.

Lots of good local timbers for you to get to know. Many of us favour Queensland Maple for necks. Despite its name it is not at all maple-like, but it does work a lot like mahogany for our purposes.

You have landed in a nice part of the country. The Surfer’s Paradise and Gold Coast strip is a little bit too Las Vegas for some people’s taste, but not far away in the hinterland or Northern Rivers area it is very beautiful. I hope you enjoy it.
Cheers
Mark

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:58 pm

Mark McLean wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:38 pm
Welcome down under Nigel.
If you are interested in second hand tools and equipment you should get onto Gumtree, which is a local version of a Craigslist-style online marketplace. Make a dehumidifier one of your first purchases.

Lots of good local timbers for you to get to know. Many of us favour Queensland Maple for necks. Despite its name it is not at all maple-like, but it does work a lot like mahogany for our purposes.

You have landed in a nice part of the country. The Surfer’s Paradise and Gold Coast strip is a little bit too Las Vegas for some people’s taste, but not far away in the hinterland or Northern Rivers area it is very beautiful. I hope you enjoy it.
Cheers
Mark
Yep, I've got me eye on the hinterland already. Looks lovely, and probably the only nice area we could afford around here. For the first year or so though we'll be living closer to the train line - it'll be handier for the Mrs for work, and I've never driven a car in me life...

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:11 am

Welcome to the sunshine state Nigel. You could give Aaron Fenech a buzz, he runs a large workshop and school in Miami on the GC

+1 on the QLD maple and David Linton in Malaney
Trent

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:38 am

Hi Nigel,

Congratulations! I have only been to Oz once and loved it: my immediate reaction was that I'd love to move there. But alas I was way too old then to even think about it. And now … even older.

Good luck there.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:12 am

Welcome to Australia!

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:49 am

Welcome to Australia mate!

I'm moving to Brisbane in the new year, so I'm watching this thread with interest. Lost of good tips for materials and tools.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

slowlearner
Blackwood

Post by slowlearner » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi Nigel,

Great to have to you down here. Really looking forward to what you come up with using local timbers. Maybe I'll finally get to meet you after missing out a few years back in the UK.

Re neck timbers, I've been using Tasmanian oak/Victorian Ash for lots of necks. It's not like mahogany, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Dunno if anyone else mentioned Surien (Red Mahogany), but Bunnings stocks it.

Cheers, Pete Wood
Pete

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:35 pm

From the North of England to the Gold Coast! Nowhere in your excellent book did it discuss how to factor in the costs of all that suncream you’ll need. Or even how to charge for those minutes where you’ll have to change your sweaty underwear after a hard morning planing.

Best wishes for your new venture Nigel.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:36 pm

A handy tip to those contemplating applying for a Visa to enter Australia.....put down "Au Pair" as your occupation on the application form, the visa will be virtually automatic :mrgreen:
Martin

Fisherman
Blackwood

Post by Fisherman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:23 am

Underwear, visas... we are way off track now! Now my brain has gone back to a joke I heard years ago on the radio...

Two Africans in the visa line are looking to enter Australia. When they get to the desk the clerk asks the first what skills he has, because Australia has a policy to only bring in skilled migrants.
“Diesel fitter”, the first replies.
“Very good”, the clerk says, quite impressed, “we have a shortage of diesel fitters in this country. What about you?”, gesturing to his friend
“Womens undies” comes the reply, with a big smile
“Hmm” says the clerk, that’s not really on my list of occupations we need. “do u have any other skills?”
“oh, we work together at the underwear shop”, says the first man
“what do u mean”
“see, i hold up a pair of underwear and call out women’s undies”
“ and i say diesel fitter!”