How big a drumsander?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Joseph Jones
Myrtle

How big a drumsander?

Post by Joseph Jones » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi all, just considering buying a drum sander.
I will be starting my first instrument this year and I plan to make more more.
What’s a good size drumsander for a luthiers’ workshop?
(I can’t see myself making anything bigger than a full size acoustic guitar.)

Also what are your thoughts on one that’s fixed on both sides or swings off one side?

Or will a drum sander never get used and just collect dust in the corner? If so what tools and skills would replace it?

Regards: Joseph

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: How big a drumsander?

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 pm

Welcome to the forum Joseph.

My drum sander is a Jet Peformax 16/32. It's performed ok but there are a few issues with some of the Performax Sanders. One that I've experienced is the feed belt refusing to track properly. I also had the feed belt gearbox strip one of it's plastic gears and I ended up having to replace the motor and gearbox (an integral unit). On some machines there were problems with the threads on the drum head height adjuster stripping out. One of our members came up with a replacement part to fix the problem. In general I found Jet's service here in Australia pretty poor. Since I bought my machine Carbatec have started stocking the Jets so service may have improved.

In hind sight I probably would have gone for a cheaper Carbatec drum sander.

One important point to make is if you're going to be operating a drum sander then a decent dust extractor is mandatory. I've got a Jet 2HP dust extractor hooked up to my drum sander.

Check out the Jets but also look at what Carbatec is offering. If youre not a high output builder then a smaller cheaper machine might be better value for money. I use my machine for dressing up rough sawn top sets I used to buy in bulk from Canada so the bigger machine was the best option.

Prior to getting the drum sander I was doing my thicknessing by hand with planes, scraper planes and cabinet scrapers. It requires a bit of elbow grease but doing it by hand has it's advantages....you're more in touch with the piece of wood while you're working it.
Martin

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:47 pm

I have the Carbatec one that is open on one side.
I do find it very useful when required..............HOWEVER:
Changing the paper can be a pig of a job but after 4 or 5 years I'm almost improving. Furthermore, my overload switch will trip if I happen to look at the machine the wrong way.
Would I buy the same machine again? Maybe, maybe not, depends on what else is available, and at what cost.
But they can be a VERY useful tool, and perhaps I've just been unlucky with mine.
Ken

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:11 am

I have the Jet as with Martin.I seem to have been luckier than him (and some other builders) because it has worked well with no real problems in several years.

The width is a bit limited, it will only just cope with Trevor's steel string design. Haven't tried doing a pass with part of the timber sticking out. I really don't think that would work very well.

It is not a very powerful machine so not something for hogging large amounts of timber off.

I have found it a very useful machine. Not just tops, backs and sides but for instance dimensioning brace material and all sorts of other small components. I even produce some veneers when using things like holly for headstocks.

I wish I had bought it at the beginning!
------------------
Dave

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:19 am

I have the carbatec twin that is fixed on both sides. It replaced the jet one that I thought was next to useless. I use it everyday and couldn't live without it, but I do this full time.

Keep in mind that you will need more than a hobby dust exrtractor to go along with it. These things make a lot of fine dust and need heaps of suction for them to work. Also the cloth bags that come with many dust extractors aren't suitable. Get the pleated cartridge type.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:13 am

Allen wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:19 am

Keep in mind that you will need more than a hobby dust exrtractor to go along with it. These things make a lot of fine dust and need heaps of suction for them to work. Also the cloth bags that come with many dust extractors aren't suitable. Get the pleated cartridge type.
Forgot to mention that I upgraded to a pleated cartridge with my set up....they really should be standard on these machines. Its a bit like buying a car and the exhaust system is an optional extra.
Martin

Joseph Jones
Myrtle

Post by Joseph Jones » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:42 am

Thanks for that guys,

In the past I’ve only used a drumsander for cleanup after the thicknesser.

I’ve been looking at the Beighley 17’’ which is fixed on both sides. The carbetec 1hp dust extractor I was looking at draws 500 cfm. Would that be enough?
It was never my intention to use a bag but rather duct it to outside in a shade cloth ‘“box”.

Allen, do you think having two drums saves you only time, or is there other benefits?

Thanks again for all the info.
The stone is hard and the drop is small but a hole is made by the constant fall.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:49 am

Joseph are you in Australia or the US?...the Beighly is being sold in US but not sure if it sells here in Australia.

Re venting exhaust straight from your extractor to the outside.....convenient for you but if you've got any neighbours nearby they might not appreciate it. The 1HP extractor will do the job for one machine but if you plan on hooking up any other machinery to the extractor you'll be struggling.
Joseph Jones wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:42 am
Thanks for that guys,

In the past I’ve only used a drumsander for cleanup after the thicknesser.

I’ve been looking at the Beighley 17’’ which is fixed on both sides. The carbetec 1hp dust extractor I was looking at draws 500 cfm. Would that be enough?
It was never my intention to use a bag but rather duct it to outside in a shade cloth ‘“box”.

Allen, do you think having two drums saves you only time, or is there other benefits?

Thanks again for all the info.
Martin

Joseph Jones
Myrtle

Post by Joseph Jones » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:04 am

Yeah I’m in Australia, that would explain the problems I’ve been getting with quotes!🤨😄

Dust isn’t a problem as we live in a rural area.

If I did hook up another machine (which I will) would it need to be close by in comparison to a bigger extractor? I just don’t want any regrets!
The stone is hard and the drop is small but a hole is made by the constant fall.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:39 am

If you're running a 1HP extractor you'd simply be struggling to get rid of the dust fast enough if you had both machines running at the same time. The 1HP extractors are basically designed to be attached to only one machine at a time.
Joseph Jones wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:04 am
Yeah I’m in Australia, that would explain the problems I’ve been getting with quotes!🤨😄

Dust isn’t a problem as we live in a rural area.

If I did hook up another machine (which I will) would it need to be close by in comparison to a bigger extractor? I just don’t want any regrets!
Martin

Joseph Jones
Myrtle

Post by Joseph Jones » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:50 am

Thanks Martin,
I’ll probably get something a bit bigger now.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:55 am

A 1hp extractor will work as long as you don't mind swapping hoses around between machines. I do this with my 2HP machine as I haven't yet got around to fitting some permanent ducting. With a drum sander a 2HP machine will give better results.....your sandpaper rolls will last longer and there'll less clogging up of same.
Joseph Jones wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:50 am
Thanks Martin,
I’ll probably get something a bit bigger now.
Martin

Cal
Myrtle

Post by Cal » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:27 pm

No intention of opening a can of worms on dust extraction but have a look at the woodwork forum, information is good for your lungs. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f200
I use a 3hp unit with 150mm ducting, it really is the minimum that will keep you healthy.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Cal wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:27 pm
No intention of opening a can of worms on dust extraction but have a look at the woodwork forum, information is good for your lungs. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f200
I use a 3hp unit with 150mm ducting, it really is the minimum that will keep you healthy.
Great link thanks Cal.
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:07 pm

If you can vent outside, with open piping and just shade cloth then you are gold. It's the filter that clogs up with the fine dust that kills suction.

The twin drum is good but not the be all end all. These things are still built to a price point and are reasonably good for light work. If the power in my shed allowed I'd invest in a wide belt sander over this, but then they are gain an order of magnitude more expensive.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Cal
Myrtle

Post by Cal » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:31 pm

You’re welcome Martin. The main instigator about dust on the woodwork forum is BobL, he is a living encyclopaedia on the subject and takes it very seriously. He has taught me all I know about dust and it’s dangers, it really is a subject that should not be pushed aside for anyone working in a dust creating environment. I won’t bang on about it here as there is enough info on the other forum to keep you going for years.

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:57 pm

I have a Jet 22-44 Oscillating Drum Sander with a Jet DC-1200VX with canister kit dust extractor. This has proven to be a very useful tool for thickness sanding the top and bottom plates, making veneers for my arm rest bevels, thickness sanding the bindings that were cut on my band saw etc.

I have replaced the belt and found it better to purchase parts from overseas. I think Carbatec is not continuing to sell Jet products now.

I still find it necessary to rotate the timber to balance out the slight errors of the Drum Sander. Using a cleaning stick regularly on Drum Sander paper is important and helps to extend the life of the sand paper on the drum.

Overall it has been ok machine for hobby guitar building. I was advised that you need a large diameter size drum to minimise paper clogging that industrial models have. These type of Drum Sanders are way beyond my budget and not justified unless its a business that builds and sells lots of guitars.

Wayne
https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1
Attachments
P2270053.JPG

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:12 pm

For Jet parts Ive used these guys a couple of times and service has been good - https://www.ereplacementparts.com/jet-s ... 32661.html
Martin