Heat marks on Pau Ferro sides

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Woodsy23
Blackwood

Heat marks on Pau Ferro sides

Post by Woodsy23 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:12 am

After final scraping and sanding of the Pau Ferro sides of my current build, there are still stripe marks that I assume have originated during the bending process. They are on the non-cut-away side, which I bent using a fox style bender and then fine tuned on a bending iron. I tried to remove them by additional sanding and scraping (more than usual) but they still remain. I'm not sure whether they are burn marks, some other effect of heating or something else completely. They are on the outside of the curve and that side would have had minimal contact with the bending iron.

Can anyone suggest the likely cause and what can be done about them? Any advice would be appreciated.
IMG_0924.jpg
Richard

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Re: Heat marks on Pau Ferro sides

Post by WJ Guitars » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:28 pm

I am surprised to see that the scraping and sanding did not removed these marks. What temperature did you use when bending?

I alway use a water spray atomiser on the sides and then wrap the sides in foil when using a blanket / bending machine and so far have not had any marking issues. Hope some in the forum can help with a method that overcomes the marking issue.

Wayne
https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1
Attachments
P2280063.JPG

Woodsy23
Blackwood

Re: Heat marks on Pau Ferro sides

Post by Woodsy23 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:19 pm

Thanks for your response Wayne. I don't think the heat marks occurred on the fox bender as the sides looked clean after that. I wrapped them in damp paper and heated to 300F. It's most likely they occurred while fine tuning the shape on the bending iron although the outside faces only would have been in contact with the iron for brief periods when I was fixing and over-bend.

I'll try sanding and scraping a bit more to see if that reduces the marks. I'll have to make sure I don't go too thin.
Richard