Attention all Lurkers

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Attention all Lurkers

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:55 pm

We currently have 2002 members on the forum. A small number of members make up the "active" membership of the forum, making regular contributions. An equally small number of members don't contribute on a regular basis but have taken the time to at least introduce themselves.

As part of overdue housekeeping it is the intention of the Administrators of this forum to "tidy up" our membership list. Anybody who hasn't put up a post over the last 2 years will be a candidate for deletion. If you're a long standing member but haven't posted of late for valid reasons then flick the admins a message to let us know and we'll keep your membership active.

To all you lurkers who log in on a regular basis to make use of the resources available on this forum.......introduce yourselves :)
Martin

GregL
Blackwood

Re: Attention all Lurkers

Post by GregL » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:20 pm

Hi Martin,

Is there any chance of having a "Date Last Posted:" field on the "Viewer Profile - User Statistics" page?

Thanks,
GregL.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:55 pm

GregL wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:20 pm
Hi Martin,

Is there any chance of having a "Date Last Posted:" field on the "Viewer Profile - User Statistics" page?

Thanks,
GregL.
Will look at this. I don't think you have much to worry about though :)
Martin

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi Greg,

You can click on the "search users post" link on the profile page and it should show your latest post at the top.

I will see if I can get a dedicated link up.
Jeremy D

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:16 pm

I'd like to stand up for the lurkers! I know people who lurk while they learn! They often are planning later in life to build, wish to learn and have humble personalities in the face of some rather advanced guys. Personally, I'd prefer a rephrasing of the admin post so that lurkers can comment how much they get from the forum, and also more sponsorship opportunities to keep the forum tidy, and then do the weeding along with the opporunity to request to be kept in the loop! Just a suggestion. Unfortunately I am in poor health and unable to support financially, but can support in kind and recieve great benefit from this, the best forum on the subject! I also want to thank the admin for doing an incredible and tough job!
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:32 am

Just to clarify. If you delete a lurkers account will that delete any posts they may have made?

If so that could be an awful loss to the forum as there is some high technical resources in the archives by people no longer active.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Don't make that much noise Martin but still here.

Steve

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:56 pm

Similar story here, very little shed time, decided to go back to uni and study physiology

Stu

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:22 pm

TallDad71 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:32 am
Just to clarify. If you delete a lurkers account will that delete any posts they may have made?

If so that could be an awful loss to the forum as there is some high technical resources in the archives by people no longer active.
We have the option of deleting the users posts or retaining them. Note that my original post is directed at people who have been members for two years or more and haven't put up a single post.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:27 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:16 pm
I'd like to stand up for the lurkers! I know people who lurk while they learn! They often are planning later in life to build, wish to learn and have humble personalities in the face of some rather advanced guys.
If you plan to lurk and learn then that's fine but there's no reason not to put up a single short post and introduce yourself......we try and treat all members equally regardless of their experience or standing within the Luthiery Community :)
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:33 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:16 pm
I I also want to thank the admin for doing an incredible and tough job!
Not a tough job....just a bit time consuming when you're busy building a new house. Jeremy and myself take care of the housekeeping but it's yourself and other members that make the forum what it is.
Martin

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:55 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:22 pm
TallDad71 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:32 am

We have the option of deleting the users posts or retaining them. Note that my original post is directed at people who have been members for two years or more and haven't put up a single post.
Just to echo the great work you do on the forum Martin, it is highly appreciated.

Anzlf.com is an excellent forum, I am sure it will continue to be so under your guardianship.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:08 pm

TallDad71 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:55 pm
Just to echo the great work you do on the forum Martin, it is highly appreciated.

Anzlf.com is an excellent forum, I am sure it will continue to be so under your guardianship.
Thanks Alan,

There's actually two of us.....I mainly take care of the spammers while Jeremy takes care of the IT side of the operation. Unfortunately we've both been very busy with our lives outside the forum so haven't had a chance to action a few changes/improvements to the forum. My workshop is currently packed up while I undertake a house demolition and rebuild so thats why you wont have seen any builds from me for a while.
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:32 pm

My workshop is currently packed up wh ... ll Lurkers
It will do you the world of good to have to LURK for a while! :mrgreen: :dru
Cheers! Roscoe
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

Andos
Blackwood

A lurkers reply

Post by Andos » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:05 pm

First off I'd like or to thank those who give their time up to keep this forum running, those who give so freely of their knowledge and experience and those novices who ask the dumb questions I'm to embarrassed to ask! Without you all I'd be floundering in a sea of incompetency.

Here's a couple for things I've picked up while lurking. :P

These circle cutters I copied from a pic in one of Simsos tutorials - always a great source of help
IMG_20181008_184308.jpg

and this is the sum total of all I have gained here. Still a long way to go to be up with the big boys, but a vast improvement on what went before.

A soprano uke
Kauri top
Pohutakawa body and neck
Mahogany fret board
Still waiting for the fretwire to turn up
(please excuse the bad photography)
IMG_20181008_184659.jpg
IMG_20181008_184659.jpg
IMG_20181008_224623.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20181008_184629.jpg

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks for the update on what you're up to Andos and nice work on that uke. Be sure to post more pics when it's finished. Never be afraid to ask questions no matter how "dumb" you may think they are. Ive been building for a while now but I still ask dumb questions from time to time :)
Martin

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:06 am

When I decided to set up my workshop to build acoustic SS guitars I was lurking on the forum for about 12 months. I have not been to any guitar courses. Initially I started purchasing some timber, tools and books (Gore/ Gilet) at the Botany workshop from Gerald. I was able to learn many thing when visiting his workshop. I soon realised that joining this forum was the best thing to do for expanding my knowledge in guitar building and develop better methods and jigs to build guitars.

I appreciate all the work that the admin people do that has made this such a successful forum. Lurkers need to convert to forum members and share their guitar building / learning experiences.

Wayne
https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Steve
Blackwood

Post by Steve » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:03 am

Still kicking, just not much woodworking lately. I’ve got a heap of half-finished projects in the cupboard that I’ll return to one day, mostly spending my time at kids-sports activities lately. While I only pop in occasionally these days, it is good to see what everyone is up to. Keep up the good work guys.

simso
Blackwood

Re: A lurkers reply

Post by simso » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Andos wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:05 pm
These circle cutters I copied from a pic
That is a pretty awesome circle cutter.

Any chance you can start a topic for others showing steps for it being made.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:04 pm

LOL....this thread seems to have motivated a few of our "less active" members into making donations to help fund running of the forum. It wasn't quite the intention of my OP but to those people who have chipped in with generous "lurkers fees"...a big Thank You :)
Martin

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:26 pm

Hi guys, you lot still here then? :D

I look in from time to time but haven't been building anything for a while, life has been a bit busy with grandkids and motorbikes and actually learning to play the guitar I made. I've got a pile wood ready to go though and will hopefully one day get back to building. If the ankle biters are interested I suspect there might be a few ukes in my future too.

The next project is most likely going to be a neck joint upgrade in a previous classical that has not performed to expectations....it broke :? Will try and post something when I repair the neck. I'm hoping to go Gore-wards and do a bolt on wth no heel. Should be an interesting retrofit. If it works...

By the way Martin, when I built my main classical, I had some wood choice options, I recall I took your suggestion.. lutz top with blackwood back and sides. I loved the creamy white lutz when it was new but it has since turned the most gorgeous honey colour. The blackwood looks amazing still. Will have to try to do a before and after pic. It gets played pretty much every day!
Richard

matfulton
Gidgee

Post by matfulton » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:12 pm

Hello all

Long time lurker first time poster.

I’m very much a newbie base in Sydney reading and learning from the posts here at the forum.

My building is still at an emerging stage. A kit LP electric, half a concert uke (work in progress) and also a couple of pickn sticks (also a work in progress - still sticks at this stage)

Cheers

Mat

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself and welcome to the forum Mat. Looking forward to some pics of your "pickin' sticks" at some stage.

matfulton wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:12 pm
Hello all

Long time lurker first time poster.

I’m very much a newbie base in Sydney reading and learning from the posts here at the forum.

My building is still at an emerging stage. A kit LP electric, half a concert uke (work in progress) and also a couple of pickn sticks (also a work in progress - still sticks at this stage)

Cheers

Mat
Martin

LouS
Gidgee

Post by LouS » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:16 pm

Hello everyone

I signed up some time ago (Tim Spittle put me onto this forum), but haven't yet posted. I thought it was about time I introduce myself...

I worked at Curtin University for 17 years full-time while working in my workshop part-time. After seeing Curtin handing out forced redundancies to so many people over the last few years, I ramped up my guitar building activities in case they tap me on the shoulder. About mid last year I was in a position to leave voluntarily and get into guitar building full-time. I haven't looked back!

I plan to visit this forum more regularly when I'm out of the workshop and share what I've been doing.

Thanks!
Lou Siragusa
Siragusa Guitars | www.lousiragusa.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Thanks for the intro Lou and welcome to the forum. Looking forward to a few pics of your builds in the near future :)
LouS wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:16 pm
Hello everyone

I signed up some time ago (Tim Spittle put me onto this forum), but haven't yet posted. I thought it was about time I introduce myself...

I worked at Curtin University for 17 years full-time while working in my workshop part-time. After seeing Curtin handing out forced redundancies to so many people over the last few years, I ramped up my guitar building activities in case they tap me on the shoulder. About mid last year I was in a position to leave voluntarily and get into guitar building full-time. I haven't looked back!

I plan to visit this forum more regularly when I'm out of the workshop and share what I've been doing.

Thanks!
Martin