Attention all Lurkers

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

bobthebuilder
Sassafras

Re: Attention all Lurkers

Post by bobthebuilder » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:27 am

Hi Martin, I have been a member of this forum forever but have had to stop working with wood for the time being on doctors orders but still like to visit to try to keep up to date in the hope I will eventually get back to building my guitars. I still have a very large stash of wood, some of which would be almost unobtainable these days partly due to CITIES and partly due to the world running out of some of the timber species through over logging. Anyway just letting you know I am still here and still enjoying ANZLF.
Cheers Robert. :cl

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:35 am

Thanks for the post Bob and thanks for letting us know you're still around. I hope you get your health issues sorted and get back to building soon. No good having a pile of lovely tonewood sitting in your shed looking pretty....it'll look much more pretty on guitar :)
bobthebuilder wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:27 am
Hi Martin, I have been a member of this forum forever but have had to stop working with wood for the time being on doctors orders but still like to visit to try to keep up to date in the hope I will eventually get back to building my guitars. I still have a very large stash of wood, some of which would be almost unobtainable these days partly due to CITIES and partly due to the world running out of some of the timber species through over logging. Anyway just letting you know I am still here and still enjoying ANZLF.
Cheers Robert. :cl
Martin

gerryt
Kauri

Post by gerryt » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:04 pm

Hi all

The main reason I haven't posted is that I'm from neither Australia or New Zealand so I didn't know if it would be appropriate. I live in Scotland and have been building electric and acoustic guitars and the occasional uke for getting on for 17 years. Recently bought the books and am having my instrument building world turned upside down by them (which is what I had hoped for from them!). The forum is a fabulous resource and I appreciate all of the info on it. If it's ok I will start posting a bit although I don't have a lot of time and what I do have I try to use to build. Thanks again, Gerry in Whisky country, Speyside, Scotland

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:04 am

Hi Gerry and welcome to the forum.

Despite the name we welcome members from any part of the globe. The only requirement is at least a mild interest in stringed instruments.

You mention you've just bought "The Books" which is another good reason to join our community. Quite a few of our members also have The Books and even better Trevor Gore is usually buzzing around ready to answer questions.

Cheers Martin (and Jeremy)
gerryt wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:04 pm
Hi all

The main reason I haven't posted is that I'm from neither Australia or New Zealand so I didn't know if it would be appropriate. I live in Scotland and have been building electric and acoustic guitars and the occasional uke for getting on for 17 years. Recently bought the books and am having my instrument building world turned upside down by them (which is what I had hoped for from them!). The forum is a fabulous resource and I appreciate all of the info on it. If it's ok I will start posting a bit although I don't have a lot of time and what I do have I try to use to build. Thanks again, Gerry in Whisky country, Speyside, Scotland
Martin

gerryt
Kauri

Post by gerryt » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:09 am

Thanks for that Martin. The info on the books on here is unsurpassed and I find I need a bit of help interpreting some of it! It's like going back to school for me!

Anyway hope to see you on the forums.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you and all, Gerry

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Ive kind of changed direction in the last little while, A mandola in progress based on Cremonese Mandolin and a "I wonder if this could work mando". I'll take some nicer photos one day.
Attachments
IMG_8763.JPG
IMG_8762 (1).JPG
IMG_8814.JPG
make mine fifths........

Petecane
Blackwood

Post by Petecane » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:59 pm

Andos.
What a beautiful Ukulele you have built.
I simply love that shape of Uke.
It looks so beautifully feminine and also Martin.
( that is a compliment. )
As to your cirlcle cutters, they are magnificent.
I do not have the machines to make such so have had to make do with hand made wooden bodied circle cutters which I am quite proud of, offered to post pics of but I guess everyone is too busy.
Please post some pics of the finished Uke.
It is beautiful.
I like your style.
I notice you leave the fretting till last?
Dumn questions.
Well I am always asking them and I get referred to " the books " which I have ordered today to keep the peace.
I thought the whole idea of a forum was to discuss dumn questions however " the books " have all the answers so I have obeyed my instructions in ordering them.
Once I have the" the books " I may become a Lurker!
No excuses for dumn questions any more!
Pete
( an amateur old git that simply loves to have a go at making Ukes and enjoys the journey )

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:03 am

Thank you for not binning my account Martin. Truly appreciated.

Left another soul-sucking job a bit over a year and a half ago now, but then I had to get my license for my current position. That took about nine months. I got that all sorted out, so now I actually have some free time and funds to get back in the shop.

I promised my son a new neck for his crappy knockoff strat for his birthday. So I have until November to get one all sorted out. I spent a big part of the weekend binning most of the crap that had just gotten tossed in the shop to get it out from under foot. So, progress is being made.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:48 pm

Great news Lillian. I've always enjoyed your participation here.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:37 pm

No chance of your account being deleted Lillian...you're one of the originals :)

Nice to hear from you after so long and glad to hear there's going to be some action in your shop.
Lillian wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:03 am
Thank you for not binning my account Martin. Truly appreciated.

Left another soul-sucking job a bit over a year and a half ago now, but then I had to get my license for my current position. That took about nine months. I got that all sorted out, so now I actually have some free time and funds to get back in the shop.

I promised my son a new neck for his crappy knockoff strat for his birthday. So I have until November to get one all sorted out. I spent a big part of the weekend binning most of the crap that had just gotten tossed in the shop to get it out from under foot. So, progress is being made.
Martin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:34 am

It is great to see you back here Lillian! I hope you have some fun making dust and shavings in the shop in the next few months, and then show us what you are doing.
Mark

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:17 am

Hey Mark! It's good to be back. And yes, I will be asking questions and making shavings and sharing pictures. I even got a new camera, so no excuses. The first thing I'm going to be sorting out is a small practice electric guitar. Not much to it, but it should be a fun place to start.

Duct Tape
Wandoo

Post by Duct Tape » Wed May 15, 2019 8:12 am

I’m still here too, but have been building a new shop for the past year. Also been collecting some nice anz tonewood, including some gidgee I’m terrified to bend.

Jon
Jon

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 am

Thanks for the update Jon, put up some pics of that new shop when it's finished.
Duct Tape wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:12 am
I’m still here too, but have been building a new shop for the past year. Also been collecting some nice anz tonewood, including some gidgee I’m terrified to bend.

Jon
Martin

Andos
Blackwood

Post by Andos » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:44 pm

Hi Pete,

Sorry for the late reply.
Thanks for for compliments about the uke - It was the 1st 1/2 way decent instument I've made. I'm just glad that the camera is very forgiving!!
As for the circle cutters, working metals is easy- wood though, I struggle with. I envy those that can make works of beauty out of wood. Post the pics of yours, I'd like to see them. I'm always interested in others peoples take on home built tools.

From one old amateur git to another
Ando

Kid_Moe
Gidgee

Post by Kid_Moe » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:31 am

Hey there, I'm Tom, I'm here in Perth, I love this forum so much knowledge.

I've built two guitars/wall hangs. The first I've not intonated but enjoyed making so much I started a second.
The second I routed my saddle slot in the wrong place (I'd forgotten my scale length) and measured wrong.. like a rookie I thought the center of the 12th fret was inbetween the fret bars not the actual fret :/ not my brightest day ahah, so the intonation was way out but neck/build was of better quality.

I'm now getting the bits together to make a 3rd I've sourced some blackwood that Ive resawn and put through the thicknesser, but the machine was too aggressive and started to chip when it came close to where I wanted it.. so I was just on here "lurking" looking for information on how Im going to get my boards to width when I saw this Lurker Post..
(I'm thinking toothing plane and scraper or hand plane then scraper and sandpaper... I don't know more answers are here to be found me thinks)

Thanks for letting me join this forum and thanks to everyone who posts and contributes.
Please don't delete me :) I'll post some pics maybe a post Re; thicknessing, if I don't find some info already here.

Thanks.

Tom.

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:17 pm

Welcome Tom, we all stuff up at times, it's part of the learning process.
Wayne

Francis
Myrtle

Post by Francis » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:13 am

Sadly I feel a bit of a lurker these days and must admit that I spend more time with the Acoustic Soundboard forum. However I regard the threads on this forum with the greatest respect and thank current and former contributors for their valuable and often unique approaches to both problem solving and straight forward approaches to builds.

Kim Strode
Blackwood

Post by Kim Strode » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Hi Admin's,

I'm still lurking around from Daylesford, Vic and am currently attempting to build a 12 string acoustic guitar.
Kim Strode
Daylesford, Australia

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:55 pm

Hi to you all,
I am also still lurking and have a few projects on the go. One I will share with you soon is two OM builds with different top bracings and top backs and sides. I plan to do a sound demo and let you all know what I found that is interesting. I mean you've got to experiment a bit.
Thanks to Martin and Jeremy for keeping things going.
Cheers for now
Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi to you all,
I am also still lurking and have a few projects on the go. One I will share with you soon is two OM builds with different top bracings, backs and side materials. I plan to do a sound demo and let you all know what I found that is interesting. I mean you've got to experiment a bit.
Thanks to Martin and Jeremy for keeping things going.
Cheers for now
Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Chalks
Myrtle

Post by Chalks » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:56 am

Yep. Still lurking. I dont build a lot. Mainly because I love it. So, a Strumstick dulcimer thing, an acoustic bass, semi acoustic carved top and now a twelve string acoustic.

I dig this place. Good place to find answers.

Greg

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:11 pm

Howdy - I’ve just completed a Stew Mac tenor kit, which I found very valuable as a first build learning experience and yielded a nice playable instrument. I have attached a couple of build photos, I have just ordered a kit from Tim Spittle which I am very excited about - a tenor with Tiger Myrtle back and sides and a King Billy sound board. I’m planning on using a Spanish heel and looking forward to tapping into the collective knowledge of the group.
Attachments
C2324FC3-54DF-4C5E-B147-E45CD7255E2E.jpeg
8D9947FE-4D13-4541-BB81-8918EFA7DA3D.jpeg
0945D270-C721-4433-BFD8-DE95D2D01C77.jpeg
BA4C5ACA-21C8-4BF8-B72A-D90861CB0093.jpeg
40E11438-68AB-4465-AAE2-7E1B6BCD1A0F.jpeg
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

kevjed
Wandoo

Post by kevjed » Wed May 20, 2020 6:22 pm

Hi Folks,
its been some time since I have even lurked but I am back and hope to become a (semi) regular again. My 13 yo daughter has given me a hard time about not building much I by putting it up here I am making a commitment to actually contribute. I will post my daughters first attempt at woodwork let alone a ukulele. Its only my second uke but I've made a handful of guitars over the years. I jelly of how quickly my daughter has progressed and I'm sure she will put me to shame in no time.
I just want to say thanks for all the help I've got from you all here when I was just starting out the first time. Starting out again I'm sure you will be more direct knowing that you won't offend.
See you once the banter begins.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed May 20, 2020 6:26 pm

Thanks for the update mate. Looking forward to pics of your daughters build....and also yours when you get back into it.

kevjed wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:22 pm
Hi Folks,
its been some time since I have even lurked but I am back and hope to become a (semi) regular again. My 13 yo daughter has given me a hard time about not building much I by putting it up here I am making a commitment to actually contribute. I will post my daughters first attempt at woodwork let alone a ukulele. Its only my second uke but I've made a handful of guitars over the years. I jelly of how quickly my daughter has progressed and I'm sure she will put me to shame in no time.
I just want to say thanks for all the help I've got from you all here when I was just starting out the first time. Starting out again I'm sure you will be more direct knowing that you won't offend.
See you once the banter begins.
Martin