Attention all Lurkers

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

bernm
Sassafras

Re: Attention all Lurkers

Post by bernm » Thu May 28, 2020 7:50 pm

Hi. I probably should reply to this thread.

I first signed up here back around 2008. For a few years I was very very keen. I didn't post a whole lot, but there are over 30 posts from me in my history. I bought a heap of tools, was on ANZLF literally daily (or thereabouts), built a kit uke, did a building course in Melbourne and made an acoustic. So far so good ... And then, life became very very busy with a growing family, and there were some pretty big unexpected turns too. Within my field of work I've changed locations and uprooted our whole family and moved house multiple times. And then late last year, due to changes in my workplace out of my control, I made a decision to resign and return to study (so I'm doing a Masters at the moment). This is a long-winded way of saying that I pretty much dropped everything for a long time, though I tried to dabble a bit here and there, and popped on here for a quick look only now and then.

My "guitar energy" moved to electrics over time and over the past few years I even starting building some guitar pedals from kits - so much easier to get my head around with so little time to spare. A pedal can be built in an afternoon - compare that with a guitar! But then late last year I realised that the bug to work on and build guitars had never really gone away. It was just buried with all that had been going on. So I started restoring an old bass for my wife (and then we moved again!). I literally just unpacked all my lutherie gear, and bits and pieces within the past week. I've only returned to this forum quite recently (and just saw this thread today). My Masters workload is tapering off this term, so the first jobs now are to finish fixing up that bass and some electric guitars that are in pieces or need work. And then I'll finally get back to building some stuff. It has been a long journey and I have lost so many years. But here you go ... another "lurker's" story! It's nice to be back, though!

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Fri May 29, 2020 7:24 am

Well Bern let me be the first to welcome you back. I'm a bit of a stranger here being in the UK but as a user of the G squared books this is my natural home.

I know well the way that life get's in the way of building. It was really only when I was able to give up the day job that I found the time to get into it seriously.
Whatever you build give us some pics, and enjoy!
------------------
Dave

Francis
Myrtle

Post by Francis » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:19 pm

Hi All - Really hope you're OK. Not been doing much since March and first visit back here since May.

Keep safe
Francis

H3ytm@n
Blackwood

Post by H3ytm@n » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:19 am

Still kicking and making as well...not posting but that could change ;)
Definitely would like to maintain my membership.

recent soprano ukulele build in progress
Mike