Attention all Lurkers

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

bernm
Sassafras

Re: Attention all Lurkers

Post by bernm » Thu May 28, 2020 7:50 pm

Hi. I probably should reply to this thread.

I first signed up here back around 2008. For a few years I was very very keen. I didn't post a whole lot, but there are over 30 posts from me in my history. I bought a heap of tools, was on ANZLF literally daily (or thereabouts), built a kit uke, did a building course in Melbourne and made an acoustic. So far so good ... And then, life became very very busy with a growing family, and there were some pretty big unexpected turns too. Within my field of work I've changed locations and uprooted our whole family and moved house multiple times. And then late last year, due to changes in my workplace out of my control, I made a decision to resign and return to study (so I'm doing a Masters at the moment). This is a long-winded way of saying that I pretty much dropped everything for a long time, though I tried to dabble a bit here and there, and popped on here for a quick look only now and then.

My "guitar energy" moved to electrics over time and over the past few years I even starting building some guitar pedals from kits - so much easier to get my head around with so little time to spare. A pedal can be built in an afternoon - compare that with a guitar! But then late last year I realised that the bug to work on and build guitars had never really gone away. It was just buried with all that had been going on. So I started restoring an old bass for my wife (and then we moved again!). I literally just unpacked all my lutherie gear, and bits and pieces within the past week. I've only returned to this forum quite recently (and just saw this thread today). My Masters workload is tapering off this term, so the first jobs now are to finish fixing up that bass and some electric guitars that are in pieces or need work. And then I'll finally get back to building some stuff. It has been a long journey and I have lost so many years. But here you go ... another "lurker's" story! It's nice to be back, though!

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Fri May 29, 2020 7:24 am

Well Bern let me be the first to welcome you back. I'm a bit of a stranger here being in the UK but as a user of the G squared books this is my natural home.

I know well the way that life get's in the way of building. It was really only when I was able to give up the day job that I found the time to get into it seriously.
Whatever you build give us some pics, and enjoy!
------------------
Dave

Francis
Myrtle

Post by Francis » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:19 pm

Hi All - Really hope you're OK. Not been doing much since March and first visit back here since May.

Keep safe
Francis

H3ytm@n
Blackwood

Post by H3ytm@n » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:19 am

Still kicking and making as well...not posting but that could change ;)
Definitely would like to maintain my membership.

recent soprano ukulele build in progress
Mike

BrianD
Gidgee

Post by BrianD » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:56 am

Well, I haven't even been lurking of late! I was on the forum many years ago but had a hiccup with my PC and emails, yada yada. Ultimately I re-applied to join the forum, but it must have taken some time for my application to get processed so I sort of gave up. But my login is now active!!

Well, I have now retired and moved to the Mid North Coast of NSW on a suitably sized property with an excellent shed I'm currently setting up for my workshop. Once I have appeased the other half with respect to the rather long list of jobs around the place that apparently must get done, I'll be back into my stringed instrument hobby with earnest.

Appreciate all the candid information that appears on this forum and I look forward to contributing in some small part in the future.

Cheers,
Brian.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:27 pm

Welcome Brian. Sorry for any delays approving your membership.....not a lot of staff on duty at present.
Martin

BradHall
Gidgee

Post by BradHall » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:21 am

Greetings all. My name is Brad Hall. I’m an aspiring builder from Northern California.
I check in on the site several time a week, sometimes daily. I’ve built nine acoustic ss guitars, a ukulele, and a dulcimer. Also have done some various repairs from simple to major on guitars donated to Guitars 4 Vets.
I find this forum different ( in a good way) from the other 2 I visit. Always a different perspective and something to learn. The friendly helpful attitude is appreciated. Thanks.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:50 am

Thanks for the post Brad and glad you get something out of the forum.
Martin

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:49 am

So I joined up several years ago, got all excited about starting to build instruments, bought some timber etc...

...then went through a divorce, lost motivation, started a couple of different hobbies instead, and kind of forgot that this forum existed.

Just recently though, I found the slab of Tassie Blackwood I bought about 10 or 11 years ago with the intention of building an electric guitar, and my interest has been rekindled. So here I am. I guess time will tell if I actually get anywhere this time around!
Ian

Carpenter turned Knifemaker, now tentatively trying Luthiery as yet another hobby on the list...

crazycloud
Gidgee

Post by crazycloud » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:10 pm

As per kiwigeo's post, I've been a bit of a lurker for a while and joined a few weeks back.
I'm interested in building solidbody basses and guitars and maybe some acoustics as my skillset increases later.

Next year I'll move into semi-retirement and will have time to do some building. Working with timber, unless it's ply or mdf isn't my strong point, but I'm patient and methodical so I'll muddle my way through. I have a friend who did some luthiery work years back who's offered to help.

Some years back I did a job in Sydney CDB in an old woolstore that was being renovated and saved a bunch of timber flooring and beams that were in the skip. I have no idea what they are yet, but I'm hoping they'll be of use. They were installed 120y before I grabbed them about 25y back. I've also got a ton of blackwood to experiment with too and a ton of hardware and pickups.

The pickups were what got me into the idea of building my own, mainly basses, as my background is EE and have some experience designing and winding wideband transformers (tube OPTS) and lots of coils. A coil winder is under development and onboard and rack electronics are pretty straightforward for me. There are several existing designs and I have a few more on paper awaiting time for development.

So I hope to learn and ask questions, and if my EE experience can help others, I'd be glad.

Cheers
Brett

PS: I'll ask later about some missing woodwork from a previous bass I've lost.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:24 am

Thanks for the update Brett and please post pics of any builds when they happen.
Martin

FSDave
Gidgee

Post by FSDave » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:08 pm

I'm definitely a lurker, but hope to stick around. I'm finally starting a J45 build based on "the books" and as a new builder, I'm finding lot of helpful information in the archives. As I learn more, I hope to contribute more. For now, I'll actually be posting a note on how to run Visual Analyzer on a Mac - in case there is anyone else who needs to know how to do this. I've tried a few other options, but haven't loved the results. There are a few I haven't tried because they are $100 and up. In any event, I appreciate the knowledge everyone shares on this forum and the work the admins do to keep it running. Thanks and I hope to repay the kindness along the way!

Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:11 pm

FSDave wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:08 pm
For now, I'll actually be posting a note on how to run Visual Analyzer on a Mac - in case there is anyone else who needs to know how to do this. I've tried a few other options, but haven't loved the results. There are a few I haven't tried because they are $100 and up.
At on stage I was running VA on a couple of my Mac laptops using Parallels on top of the MacOS. It works fine but moving data files in and out of the virtual OS environment was a pain in the proverbial. I ended up buying a cheap HP Windows laptop at Aussie Post for $450 and run VA native on that machine.
Martin

FSDave
Gidgee

Post by FSDave » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:00 am

Thanks for letting me know your experience, Martin. I was able to install the 2011 version of VA using Winery. So far, I’ve been able to configure it and verify the setting get saved and also save the scope charts as text files. The file save menu actually recognizes the Mac OS file system.

I guess we’ll see how it goes for a bit.

Cal Maier
Gidgee

Post by Cal Maier » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:07 pm

Well, I have to say it’s been more than a few years since I’ve logged onto the forum, and I have all sorts of excuses but none that really would let me off the hook!!
I just logged in for the first time since …….2013/14 or so. What with moves changing sheds, no shed and building a new shed, I just haven’t been around much.
Thank you for not deleting my account from the forum, I must admit when I logged in I was wondering if My account would still be here …. and it was!! Thank you again.
I admit that I haven’t posted much at all on this excellent forum but I’m going to try and make amends and start trying to post a bit more now that I’m back. I just have some catching up to do first.

To start off here are a couple of snapshots of my version of a Martin Model 2 -28 guitar ready to start the finishing schedule.
Attachments
2B33BA73-8986-471F-BE6D-46172BB05B9C.jpeg
EA23C9A9-3C5F-4880-96BD-75FFBFAB5C85.jpeg

mac
Gidgee

Post by mac » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:40 pm

G'day Martin

I've joined the forum but haven't had a chance to put anything up yet due to a lot of my time spent looking after my old Mum (93yo) and my ill wife.

Reading the forum is a chance to 'escape' and dream about future builds I hope to achieve.

I have a couple of projects on the go but as a learner builder they're taking time so I hope to contribute sometime (hopefully) later this year.

I find the forum a very helpful and supportive site and really appreciate the work you guys put into maintaining the site.

Hope to be a contributor soon :)

muckenburra
Gidgee

Post by muckenburra » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:16 pm

I am one of the lurkers, who occasionally logs in and flicks through the forums.

Having failed to introduce myself when I signed up 3 years ago, please allow me to do that now.

I'm not a builder, but am a player (uke and banjo), and I find it educational to read about various technical aspects of instrument making and repair. It feeds into bettering my understanding of what it is that I'm holding when I play.

Probably I'll never build an instrument, but I do some basic repair and maintenance on my own gear.

Thank you for having such a forum that is available and thank you for allowing me to be a part of that.

Cheers
Garry

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:11 pm

Thanks for the intro Garry and glad you're finding the forum useful.
Martin

David Herring
Beefwood

Post by David Herring » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:39 pm

I'm still alive. Please dont delete me.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:12 am

LOL..consider yourself not deleted. Thanks for checking in :)
David Herring wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:39 pm
I'm still alive. Please dont delete me.
Martin

Duct Tape
Wandoo

Post by Duct Tape » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:49 am

Still around. Survived the last 2.5 years of stress and craziness as a doc. Was tough and scary to go into work for much of 2020. Very thankful for the folks who created the vaccines. Had a lot of time in my shop (no where else to go- wife did say, now we have more time to talk, I said, we’ve been married 38 years, what is left to talk about!🤓). Anyway, finished my second whitewater dory and now back to focusing on guitars and mandolins. Thanks again for a great forum. Would like to keep my membership. Jon
Jon

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:23 am

Thanks for the update on goings on in your part of the world Jon.

Duct Tape wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:49 am
Still around. Survived the last 2.5 years of stress and craziness as a doc. Was tough and scary to go into work for much of 2020. Very thankful for the folks who created the vaccines. Had a lot of time in my shop (no where else to go- wife did say, now we have more time to talk, I said, we’ve been married 38 years, what is left to talk about!🤓). Anyway, finished my second whitewater dory and now back to focusing on guitars and mandolins. Thanks again for a great forum. Would like to keep my membership. Jon
Martin

dulciepercy
Gidgee

Post by dulciepercy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:09 pm

Hello
Finally delurking :-) Joined a while ago but went away. Now I'm back in Oz and need advice.

My name is George. I'm just an an amateur enthusiast. I built a guitar 35 years ago (with Gerard Gilet) as part of a uni project. All the maths has been updated by Trevor Gore since then so no need to go into details on that one. Since retiring I've made a classical and an electric bass in Daryl Wheeler's shop. And during the pandemic I made as renaissance lute in my basement using the method of David Van Edwards. Sometimes it took an entire lockdown to bend and shape one rib...

Now I need to think about varnishing. I'll head over to the appropriate forum.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:44 pm

dulciepercy wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:09 pm
Hello
Finally delurking :-) Joined a while ago but went away. Now I'm back in Oz and need advice.

My name is George. I'm just an an amateur enthusiast. I built a guitar 35 years ago (with Gerard Gilet) as part of a uni project. All the maths has been updated by Trevor Gore since then so no need to go into details on that one. Since retiring I've made a classical and an electric bass in Daryl Wheeler's shop. And during the pandemic I made as renaissance lute in my basement using the method of David Van Edwards. Sometimes it took an entire lockdown to bend and shape one rib...

Now I need to think about varnishing. I'll head over to the appropriate forum.
Ive got a lute made using David Van Edwards lute tutorial. I haven't yet put a finish on the thing but I plan to french polishing the ribs and use restorers wax on the top.
Martin

dulciepercy
Gidgee

Post by dulciepercy » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:21 am

[/quote]

Ive got a lute made using David Van Edwards lute tutorial. I haven't yet put a finish on the thing but I plan to french polishing the ribs and use restorers wax on the top.
[/quote]

Thanks for responding - I didn't realise the forum doesn't email me by default. I think French polishing is beyond me. I'll make a picture and ask.