Modal Tuning Course in Melbourne, Jan 2019

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Modal Tuning Course in Melbourne, Jan 2019

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:11 pm

Attention those who live south of the border:

I will be running one of my 3 day Modal Tuning courses in Melbourne early next year. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve run this course now, but probably close to 20 times, including 6 times in the USA. It has proved to be very popular. Here are a few impressions from people who have attended earlier courses:

Denver, Brisbane, Canberra, Gulgong, Toronto.

So why is modal tuning important?

• Guitars radiate sound from their vibrating parts, mainly the top plate
• If a guitar top vibrates in a different way, it produces a different sound
• The different ways a guitar top vibrates are called modes
• If the modes are tuned to resonate at particular frequencies with particular amplitudes, we can shape the way a guitar sounds
• In the workshop we explore the theory and practice of mode tuning to help you achieve the sound you want from your guitars

What we will cover:

• How strings drive your guitar
• Visualising and understanding modes of vibration
• Relating modes of vibration to guitar frequency response curves
• Measuring frequency response curves
• Relating frequency response curves to generic guitar types (classical, flamenco, steel string rhythm, steel string finger picking)
• Relating frequency response curves to modal vibrations and a guitar’s woodwork
• Defining what a responsive guitar actually is and showing how it can be measured
• How to achieve alluring tone, responsiveness and in-tuneness all at the same time
• Targeting the “right” modal frequencies and avoiding the wrong ones
• Requirements of a guitar as a static and dynamic structure
• Measuring material properties so that you can make the best of the wood you have rather than wishing for the wood you would like
• How to decide what thickness a particular top should be
• Bracing schemes for backs and tops
• Practical tuning of guitar modes: Moving from “as built” to “to design”

When: Over 3 days; 19th – 21st January 2019. 9.00am – 5.00pm each day. Possibly with a dinner out somewhere local on the night of the 20th if participants so wish.

Where: The Northern College of Arts and Technology, 62 Murray Rd, Preston Vic. Not far from the M31 Hume Freeway for people coming from the north. There are a number of reasonably priced motels close by for anyone traveling.

How Much: $550. A $250 deposit is required, the remaining $300 payable prior to 10th January 2019.

The course is already 75% booked, so please don’t hesitate.

To book a spot or for any further info please contact me by reply below, private message, or email me via my website here:

http://www.goreguitars.com.au/main/page_contact.html

Thanks, everyone! Looking forward to meeting those who can make it.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Modal Tuning Course in Melbourne, Jan 2019

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:57 pm

As I write, there have been nearly 500 views of the message above, so plenty of interest and as of now, there is just one place left on the January course. So if you were hesitating, now is the time to jump!

There is no perfect time for everyone and I know many people have family commitments in January. There will likely be another Melbourne course later in the year, so if you could not make it to the January one, you can now put a vote in for a time that suits you. With the commitments I already have, this will have to be from September onward. Just post a message below if you're interested and suggest a date.

Thanks everyone for your interest.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:05 am

I'm currently in the middle of a new house build so my workshop is packed up. Once the new house is finished (early 2020?) I intend getting together with Trevor and organizing a modal tuning course here in Adelaide for our Southern members. Ideally I'd like to time the course to coincide with the Adelaide Guitar Festival that usually happens in July. So July 2020 is he target for timing of an Adelaide Modal Tuning Course.
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Modal Tuning Course in Melbourne, Jan 2019: fully subscribed

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:00 pm

The Melbourne course is now fully subscribed. Thank you to all for the interest shown.

Have a great Christmas and New Year,

Trevor.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:05 pm

Just had a late cancellation, so one more place is available again. First come, first served!

Cheers, Trevor.