Warning to be conscious!!!!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Warning to be conscious!!!!

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:59 pm

Thank goodness for residual current detectors...I made my own heat bending iron. It has a pid controller, but due to inaccuracies in the calibration, or the wrong sensor I have to plug it direct to 240v to get it warm before the controller will work. After that its fine and I connect the sensor to the PID and plug the iron into the controller.....except when taking a break and going into the timelessness of guitar practice! Suddenly the amp failed, I thought the power had gone off, then checked the RCD. At this point it was tripping- I noticed a strong burning smell coming from the shed! I keep an eye on the iron with a surface thermometer, which was reading off the scale, around 400 deg C!!!!!! The thing was nearly on fire, smoke pouring out of it! I could have burned the shed down and started a bushfire!!!!
So the moral...be careful when practising the guitar...thinks 'I must remind myself that multitasking is not always my forte!'
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Warning to be conscious!!!!

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:40 pm

Hot licks? :mrgreen:
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:25 pm

I’ve heard second hand stories of people burning their shed down with Fox style benders, they set them up, go do something else and forget it’s turned on.

I always set an alarm on my mobile phone to go off after what I call the “bake period”, this way it’s never on for longer than the minimal times.

Sounds like you were lucky to catch it before any serious damage occurred.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:35 pm

I always set an alarm on my mobile phone to go off after what I call the “bake period”, this way it’s never on for longer than the minimal time
Yes, usually do, but getting a bit vague these days due to a medical condition...
Sounds like you were lucky to catch it before any serious damage occurred
If the amp hadn't cut out, I'd have lost the shed no doubt!
Hot licks? :mrgreen:
Yeah, right! All my licks are hot...(hopefully). I was playing my Liddy archtop at the time.
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks Trevor!!! :cl Of course, why didn't I think of that instead of relying on my memory!!!!! I have obviously forgotten that I have several of these kicking around the house and the shed... :mrgreen: !