HVLP set up

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nkforster
Blackwood

HVLP set up

Post by nkforster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:04 pm

Well, my stuff from the UK finally arrived last week - including my Fuji HVLP setup - except I seem not to have packed the gun. Bah. Looking at the price of a new gun here I could probably start from scratch for less.

I'm spraying waterborne top coats over brushed epoxy. Waterbourne lacquer tends to ruin guns so I'd prefer to use HVLP cheap guns rather than $500 Fuji ones.

Any suggestions as to guns and compressors available here?

demonx
Blackwood

Re: HVLP set up

Post by demonx » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:27 am

I’d suggest you go into a auto paint store and handle the guns and see what you like the feel of.

I’ve always thought of myself as an Iwata guy, however the last time I bought a gun I did a heap of online research and decided I was going to buy a particular sata which was around $800ish.

After going into the store and handling it and some others I walked out with one of the Star pro models which was around $400ish.

I’m pretty sure these guns prices are much cheaper since I purchased also.

So... visit a store, see what they feel like in your hand.

I also tend to get along well with the cheap $100 workquip guns and find myself using that more often than some of my more expensive guns. It’s not HVLP, but if your compressor is big enough it doesn’t matter

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:14 pm

After messing (literally) with crappy guns from "Supercheap Autos" I got a Star Evo (106?) mini HVLP gun. Don't remember where I bought it from, but it was an online purchase from an auto finishes supplier, possibly in Sydney. I'm happy with the gun and have used it for a few years. I have never sprayed water-based though, so have no idea how it'll perform.
My compressor is a 30L Chicago brand from Sydney Tools. Its fairly quiet running and has an aluminium tank, so is not too heavy for lumping to job sites when using my framing and finishing nail guns.
Ken

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:20 pm

Ta chaps.

Now I've started reading up on this, I've ended up with more questions than answers - anyone out there tried LVLP guns?

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:45 pm

I wouldn’t get too caught up on HVLP, LVLP etc etc, just buy a gun that feels good in your hands and then set it up to spray how you want/feel comfortable.

A lot of old school painters hate newer guns as they can’t load the paint onto the surface like you can an old air hog of a gun.

If you’re only spraying guitars, you’re basically trigger on, trigger off, repeat. You’re not spraying full lengths of a car or a truck which uses great amount of air, so any of the guns when you set it up how you like will work. Even an older style you can wind in a bit and get great finishes.

The “LP” (low pressure) part of the design is mostly so that you’re not using excess air, but spraying a guitar you hardly use any air anyway, even with my older “air hog” style guns, air isn’t an issue and I’m only using an 80lt tank. It wasn’t an issue years ago when I had a 40lt tank either. On cars yeah, not guitars.

Gazm
Blackwood

Post by Gazm » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Interesting reviews from this young bloke Nigel, supplier is UK based.
https://thegunman.net.au/ani-r150-t-mini-gun-review/

Gaz