Stupid question: Grover machines for slotted peghead...

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Paul B

Stupid question: Grover machines for slotted peghead...

Post by Paul B » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:17 am

Got a couple sets of Grover sta-tites for slotted pegheads today.

Can anyone tell me why they'd come with bushings? Both sets did and I can't imagine why, unless they are used on solid pegheads for some reason.

No big deal, just wondering...

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:42 pm

Good question Paul!

I just recieved some myself. As I have used the LMI slotting jig I can't see where they would be located. Perhaps some suggeswted putting them just in case they could be used (as you say) for an unslotted set up.

regards

Tim
[url]http://www.australiantonewoods.com[/url]

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:17 pm

Duuno....maybe its on case youre changing out already fitted machine heads for the grovers?

Richard
Myrtle

Post by Richard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:20 pm

I installed Sta-Tites in my last slotted headstock and I didn't receive any bushings with them.

Can't imagine how they'd be installed in a slotted headstock... definitely seems odd.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:59 pm

From Stewmac site:

"Sets of 6 (3-left/3-right). Each set includes mounting screws and knurled press-fit peghead bushings. 11/32" (8.73mm) diameter pegholes required."

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:57 pm

Those are for solid headstocks Martin. These (part#4593 & 4593-G) are for slotted headstocks and for them it says "Set of 6 (3-left/3-right) with mounting screws. String posts are 1/4" (6.32mm) diameter."

Nothing about bushings... Maybe it's just a screw-up in the packing room. I was wondering if the bushings were there 'cause maybe some folks use them on solid headstocks on lapslide guitars - get a little extra height with these tuners or something? No big deal, as I said just curious. Extra bushings will come in handy at some point.

What is a, well ok, not a big deal, but certainly a pain in my ass is that the string posts are 0.02mm and 0.03mm bigger than spec, damn it. Now I gotta ream out my 1/4" holes, neatly, somehow.

They are nice tuners otherwise. Be nice if they friggin fit the friggin holes that I friggin drilled after looking at their friggin spec, frigg it!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:26 pm

The Schallers that I put in my size 5 had bushings, and the instructions say to use them. It was a real pain to have to drill them out to the larger size after I had already drilled just for the shafts and then slotted the head stock. It really wasn't all that difficult to press the bushings in. I made a slight modification to the bushing press that I use on a paddle headstock.

And I just checked out a set of grovers that I have for a slotted headstock, and they have press fit bushings as well. There's no doubt about them being for a slotted headstock when you have a look at the string post. Thanks for bringing that to my attention Paul, or I might just have prepared the next headstock like the last one and had a bit of a fight on my hands.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Colin S
Myrtle

Post by Colin S » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:53 pm

Just checked some Grover Sta-tite's, miked the shaft's and they are .249"-.250". Drilled a hole in some mahogany with the 1/4" bit and they are a tight fit, but not the tuners fault as they are within normal tolerances. Just gently reamed the hole with a 6.5mm bit and they are a perfect fit. On a head I'd probably ream the outside but leave the inside at a 1/4", for a really snug fit.

No bushings with mine.

Colin

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:17 pm

Cool, thanks Colin, I think I've got 6.5mm bit down in the workshop somewhere. I'll check it out tomorrow morning.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:26 pm

Hi guys, Re the machines, yep same here with me.

I use the Stumac slotted peghead drilling jig, comes with the correct drills. Machines fit like a bum in a bucket.
Taff

Chopper
Beefwood

Stupid question:grover machines for slotted peghead

Post by Chopper » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:19 am

For those still wondering, have a look at Taffys post on his' OOO finished and delivered' and you will see what he did with the bushings he received with his Schallers. This is what I do with slotted pegheads as well as I think it is better support for the string post and when you think about it, it is exactly the same as a vertical string post which always has a bushing of some sort. Very nice OOO Taff. My favorite guitar!
Cheers
John

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:19 pm

It's what I did with my Schaellers as well. They are really nice tuners if you're thinking about going with a slot head.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia