Posting photos

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Posting photos

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:42 pm

Ok here's a quick run down on how to post photos directly to the forum.

1. At bottom of post window select "Attachments" tab.
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 1.44.37 pm.png
2. Select "add files" and file explorer/finder will pop up.
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 1.44.59 pm.png
3. Select the jpeg file you want to upload and file will upload with progress monitored in window at bottom of page.
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 1.45.08 pm.png
4. Place cursor in text window where you want the photo to appear and select "place inline" button.
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 1.45.39 pm.png
5. Select Preview to see how the post will look or if ok with the layout press "submit" to upload the post to the forum.
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 1.45.57 pm.png
Martin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Posting photos

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:36 am

One thing I would add is that most picture files that have come straight from your phone or camera are too big to post. An ideal file size is about 150-300kB. For windows users the easiest way to reduce the file size is to open the picture that you want to use in Paint, then use the rescale function to cut it down to about 30% of the original size. You can crop it at the same time. Then save it with a different name (so you will still have the original full-size one). Then do what Martin said with the smaller file. I am sure Apple users have some simple program like Paint at their disposal - but I haven't yet found an easy way to do the file-fiddling on a phone or ipad.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:29 am

iPhone and iPad users-go to app store and search for "photo size comprrssor". Some free apps there to download. Cheers Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

Petecane
Blackwood

Post by Petecane » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:32 am

Ah okay.
Perhaps I cannot get them in the text box because of the size.
I will have a look to see if there is a similar App for Android users.
Pete

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:20 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:29 am
iPhone and iPad users-go to app store and search for "photo size comprrssor". Some free apps there to download. Cheers Ross
Typo there, its "photo size compressor" that found some for me, but all the old iPhone 4's won't run anything past OS7 which excludes me from most new apps!!!!cheers Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Photo size shouldn't be an issue. From memory maximum image size is currently set to 30Meg
Martin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:52 am

Oh, 30mB is huge! Sorry, my comment about file size was obviously incorrect.
I just managed to post this pic which is 1.4mB and was taken with my iPad. Apologies for the misdirection.
image.jpg

Gazm
Blackwood

Post by Gazm » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:30 am

Poignant to topic Mark!. I have noted many times uploaded pic's are misconstrued to the viewing eyes. Do pic's look normal at preview before posting & then change tact when submitted?? Luthier computer whiz " Please explain".
All be it upside down, Beautiful instrument Mark!! one of your creations???

Gaz

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Nice work Mark! The pic is the right way up on my iPhone. More pics of that build please! I like your f holes too!
Cheers Ross

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:34 am

The upside down photo might have been a clever comment - but actually an accident. It was the other way up when I posted it using my iPad. Maybe it happened because tablet screen orientation is arbitrary? It might be important to consider that when posting from a tablet or phone??
But what is really weird is if I look at it now on my iPad (like on Ross's phone) it is right-way up. If I look at it on my computer it is upside-down. I won't hijack Martin's thread by posting more pictures here, but that instrument is in a thread in the gallery if you want to see it (Pete, it is a bouzouki that is strung like a guitar)
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8066

Very strangely, that same upside-down photo is in that gallery thread and now appears upside-down there too, but only on the computer screen. It is different on the tablet. What is going on here?

GregL
Blackwood

Post by GregL » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:39 am

Hi Mark,

The photo is upside-down on my PC (ie non-Mac) computer AND my Android (ie non-Mac) tablet. I seem to recall that this issue has been mentioned on this forum before (here at least: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8121&p=87223&hilit=upside#p87223) - I can't remember if any resolution was reached. Perhaps it's a Mac vs PC thing? Or a browser thing?

Thanks,
GregL.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:58 am

Greg - thanks for reminding us that this has been observed before. Some internet research quickly reveals an explanation for the upside-down photos conundrum.

When you use a phone or tablet to take photos many people rotate the device to frame the shot. The camera sensor doesn't know which way it is being held, it just captures the image in front of it. It is then up to the processor to work out orientation. Apple and microsoft/android have different ways of solving this problem. Android devices rotate the image to "right-way up" before saving the image. On Apple devices the image is saved whichever way up the sensor captured it. The device is aware of its orientation at the time the photo was taken and this is added as a tag (called a EXIF tag) to the picture file. Whenever that image is subsequently viewed on another Apple device the EXIF tag is used to orientate the image correctly. This persists even when the image is transmitted by email or posted on the internet, or whatever. However, Windows ignores EXIF tags on image files. Therefore, if a picture was captured on an apple device and it is subsequently viewed using a windows-driven device the image might be upside-down or sideways, depending on how the phone or tablet was being held by the photographer. I was also surprised to learn that the "upright" orientation for iPhone photos is with the button at the top and volume switches at the bottom. I suspect that the majority of people take iPhone photos holding their phone with the button at the bottom - and this will produce an inverted image whenever viewed on non-Apple formats.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:13 pm

I was hoping this thread would have a how to fix it for wonky photos.
I tried rotating the original but that didn't work, still showed it sideways.
Pictures taken on an android phone, show the right way up in Explorer or whatever its called these days but sideways on the forum page.
And it doesnt want to accept anything over 4mb from me.
20191016_181414c.jpg
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:25 pm

Richard..see my PM
seeaxe wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:13 pm
I was hoping this thread would have a how to fix it for wonky photos.
I tried rotating the original but that didn't work, still showed it sideways.
Pictures taken on an android phone, show the right way up in Explorer or whatever its called these days but sideways on the forum page.
And it doesnt want to accept anything over 4mb from me.

20191016_181414c.jpg
Martin

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks Martin but no PM yet...have you sent it??
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:04 pm

Sorry sent a PM to myself :( Email address re-sent

seeaxe wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:51 pm
Thanks Martin but no PM yet...have you sent it??
Martin

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:03 pm

OK, so I ran out of time last night but did the why does this happen search and now understand a little more about EXIF metadata on photos.
SM-A520F - 20191016_181414c.jpg
Voila

SO for anyone else this happens to.....
Import the photo from your device into a program that will actually rotate the pixels of the photo, I used my photo library program ACDC but I imagine Paint, Adobe Photoshop etc will all do the same thing. save the photo and then try loading in again. Worked for me. (Samsung phone, Windows 10 pc)

Cheers and thanks Martin anyway.
Richard

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:12 am

On a Mac just open the photo in Preview and select edit.

800 x 600 is a good resolution
Alan
Peregrine Guitars