Roasted Neck Wood

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Lillian
Blackwood

Roasted Neck Wood

Post by Lillian » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:33 am

I was asked to make a new neck for my son's guitar, since I didn't stock up on maple, I started poking around ebay to see what was out there when I stumbled across some beautiful amber figured maple. I have never seen anything like it before so I started reading what the seller wrote about it, after I checked out all the pictures of course.
Here's what he says: "Please note all wood is flat sawn, face jointed flattened, planed and edge jointed unless otherwise noted.
Board has been kiln dried then was roasted at 330 deg F for 12 hours, moisture content is 4%
The roasting process pre-stresses the wood, caramelizes the sugars, sealing the pores and rendering them more resistant to moisture and movement. The caramelizing color pervades throughout the board thus enhancing the tiger figure"

What do you more knowledgeable folks think of this? Besides making the neck look tasty, is this actually helping to "stabilizing" the wood or is it weakening the wood?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-16-x6-3-8-x ... SwxbFchVs-

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Roasted Neck Wood

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:53 pm

Roasting top woods seems to be a big thing over on The Luthier Community forum. I haven't looked much into it but the theory seems to have some substance to it. Whether or not I'd pay a large premium for a roasted over non roasted wood is another matter.

I note that the roasting process occurs after the fretboard blank has been machined to size. I'm wondering why the size the wood before roasting when surely there is a risk that the roasting process will cause some shrinkage.

Maybe Dennis L can enlighten us on this one.
Lillian wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:33 am
I was asked to make a new neck for my son's guitar, since I didn't stock up on maple, I started poking around ebay to see what was out there when I stumbled across some beautiful amber figured maple. I have never seen anything like it before so I started reading what the seller wrote about it, after I checked out all the pictures of course.
Here's what he says: "Please note all wood is flat sawn, face jointed flattened, planed and edge jointed unless otherwise noted.
Board has been kiln dried then was roasted at 330 deg F for 12 hours, moisture content is 4%
The roasting process pre-stresses the wood, caramelizes the sugars, sealing the pores and rendering them more resistant to moisture and movement. The caramelizing color pervades throughout the board thus enhancing the tiger figure"

What do you more knowledgeable folks think of this? Besides making the neck look tasty, is this actually helping to "stabilizing" the wood or is it weakening the wood?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-16-x6-3-8-x ... SwxbFchVs-
Martin

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:55 am

I have to say that I am amazed that this thread has been viewed 125 times and no one else has any thoughts about how heating wood affects it. I don't remember you guys being so quiet.

I'll have to figure out a way to roast a neck blank and check it out.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi Lillian,

The wood roasting thing seems to be popular in the US but obviously it's not such a hot potato down under. To be honest I haven't really found the time to do a lot of research on the topic....too busy with other stuff :) Anyway with my cooking skills Id end up with a stick of charcoal that wouldnt be of much use except on the BBQ.
Lillian wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:55 am
I have to say that I am amazed that this thread has been viewed 125 times and no one else has any thoughts about how heating wood affects it. I don't remember you guys being so quiet.

I'll have to figure out a way to roast a neck blank and check it out.
Martin