The Humidity issue!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Petecane
Blackwood

The Humidity issue!

Post by Petecane » Sat May 11, 2019 11:53 am

I hope you do not mind but I need to address my concerns to this specific thread and would dearly appreciate some feedback.
I am getting a bit despondent and having negative thoughts about humidity problems.
I appreciate the criteria, read Trevor's approach and also what Allen and Peter reiterate about it.
I would absolutely love to continue building Soprano Ukes and have made investments towards them but am getting itchy feet at the thought of actually selling one in case the bridge pings off or they develop cracks.
I work in a garage and have no hope of a dehumidifier as the doors are always open. My son uses the garage as well and the doors must be open.

My question are...
Does this Humidity problem apply to hardwood soprano ukulele tops and backs?
I cannot work to 40 as the hygrometers never get down that low.
Pete

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Re: The Humidity issue!

Post by Steve.Toscano » Sat May 11, 2019 9:11 pm

Petecane wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:53 am
My question are...
Does this Humidity problem apply to hardwood soprano ukulele tops and backs?
Short answer: Yes!
Petecane wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:53 am
I cannot work to 40 as the hygrometers never get down that low.
An options for you might be to run a dehumidifier in a small room (or cupboard) of your house, have all the parts and timbers stored here. Right before glue up take the parts you are going to glue out into your garage, assemble/glue etc then place them back into the 'dry room' while the glue drys.

Petecane
Blackwood

Post by Petecane » Sun May 12, 2019 5:09 pm

Steve.
Many thanks.
I am still reading The Gore and Gillet books and it will be foolhardy of me not to take notice of them in particular with regard to humidity issues with acoustic wooden instruments.
I raised the humidity problem with my son who came up with the idea of buying a dehumidifier cabinet to house things like cameras and their lenses.
The size of this particular one ( which we have ordered from you know where) is big enough to house a Soprano uke complete with its neck attached and mould etc.... plus storage of all the wood to build it.
It came out at $400 but is the answer to my problem.
I can keep everything in there and do glue ups on a board in the kitchen and then replace everything in the cabinet ready for the next session.
It looks like a Fridge with lockable door and on board Hygrometer.
It's the dogs wotsits!
So I am happier now that I know I can continue to build acoustic Soprano Ukuleles with a modicum of humidity control.
I have posted this as there maybe others like myself who do not have the luxury of a perfect work space that is de humidified.
Thanks Steve!
Pete

Pete

Jim
Blackwood

Post by Jim » Sun May 12, 2019 6:41 pm

Hi Pete,
I too am working out of a garage with no humidity control. I'm in SE Qld. I tend to set my self up to build seasonally, ie closing the box on the current batch sometime in winter. Yesterday the humidity hit 40%. I had all my braces ready to go waiting for the moment so I braced up the top. Less than $10 will get you a humidity metre and then you wait patiently!

Cheers

Jim

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun May 12, 2019 10:35 pm

Easy fix: keep it all in your house while you’re not working on it.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon May 13, 2019 6:07 am

I have a "Dry Room" where my dehumidifier runs 24/7. It's approximately 2m x 3m with all timber that I would be working with in the next year or so stored on racks in there as well, besides all the instrument components in various stages of completion are store.

Everything lives in there unless I'm working on it out on the bench making sawdust and shavings. I have a glue up bench in that room as well.

If I can be pro builder in Cairns with our extremely tropical weather, then pretty much everywhere else in Australia is a cake walk.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Petecane
Blackwood

Post by Petecane » Mon May 13, 2019 6:56 am

Jim.
Nice to see someone else finding a way with same circumstances.
My son did suggest to build the ukes in winter and do other things in summer.
In summer I could get them all prepared and in winter box them and brace them.
This may explain why I sometimes see pictures of a number of unassembled guitars and ukes.
Just waiting for the right time.
My dehumidifier cabinet should ease the problem though.
Allen.
Of course you are right but mate!.... there are six of us living in a very small house.
There simply isn't that space available.
If I had it my way I would put up shelving in the sitting room believe me...but the household authority just would not agree to that.
I suppose there are worse off than me.
Making ukes in a tent!!
Thanks anyway.
Pete

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:38 am

I have a humidity controlled underbench cupboard. However running a dehumidifier uses electricity, about as much as an extra refrigerator and no one likes warm beer in this country! There is a broken down station wagon at my place and in the daytime the humidity is quite low inside...it can be used as a temporary go bar deck while glue dries! I am often told "Yorta get rid of that old car" or a similar whydontya. Only a luthier would understand my answer...the rest of em still think I'm mad.
The important thing is to understand the principles of Relative Humidity...one is that RH is relative to temperature. Easy enough to dry air out by warming it up. Cheers Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun May 19, 2019 11:11 am

If you're looking at humidity control in your shop the first thing to look at is beefing up insulation and reducing drafts. When I built my shop I stuck R2.7 batts in the walls and ceiling. I ran a dehumidifier for a couple of years but found that when the thing was off for a few days the temperature and humidity in the shop stayed surprisingly steady. Now days the only active control I have is a small heater running occasionally during the winter months.
Martin