Drum sanding service in Brisbane

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Saint
Wandoo

Drum sanding service in Brisbane

Post by Saint » Tue May 14, 2019 11:47 am

Dear ANZLF members,
Although I would love to purchase a drum sander, presently, it's beyond my budget.
Does anyone know of a business, in Brisbane, who could drum sand backs and tops to bring down to general thickness requirements?
I'm thinking a joinery or cabinet maker's business or Men's shed etc.
I know I could work things down entirely with a hand plane and I will certainly be putting the finishing on each board in this way but, I'm hoping to use that time elsewhere.
Cheers
Oliver

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Re: Drum sanding service in Brisbane

Post by Steve.Toscano » Tue May 14, 2019 1:29 pm

Hi Oliver, you could try Andrew at the Brisbane Guitar Making School. His offsider (Trent) is a member on the forums.

Alternatively, give it a go with your handplanes, it doesnt take very long at all and you will learn a lot throughout the process.
I have a drum sander and still do most of my back/side thicknessing by hand plane, with the exception of highly figured woods.
Once you are well practiced you may even find you are quicker doing it by plane then through the sander.

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Tue May 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi Oliver, Give Andrew a bell on 0418 569 019, the school is located Unit 5/101 Jijaws St, Sumner QLD 4074.
Trent

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Hi Oliver.

Clubs and men's sheds are an option as you alluded to, or perhaps some of the newer maker space type options such as "The Edge" or others, but you'd have to do some digging to see what equipment they have and the terms of use. Otherwise you could also try:

www.woodnyou.com

They are based in Coopers Plains. They are a workshop 'for hire' as such - you pay for the use of their equipment on a time basis. You can also have someone do it for you there for an additional fee I think. Depends on how confident you are with using the machinery - the better you are, the less it will cost as you'll get the job done faster!

I've no affiliation with them at all, but used their workshop when I first started out and did not have all the equipment myself. That was over 20 years ago now - the fact they are still operating suggests they are doing something right. They had wide drum sanders then and I imagine they still do. A call could confirm this and pricing for you.

Good luck.

Saint
Wandoo

Post by Saint » Mon May 20, 2019 12:31 pm

Thanks everybody. I appreciate your advice.
Cheers
Oliver