Thickness Gauge

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Saint
Wandoo

Thickness Gauge

Post by Saint » Wed May 22, 2019 11:20 am

Has anyone had success purchasing a reasonable quality Chinese thickness gauge with a 300mm throat. Their prices are hard to beat but still represent a waste of time and money if they don't function in the ball park. It's hard to gauge (:lol:) the quality from pictures over the net. A recommended supplier would be great. I'd even consider purchasing a secondhand one if you know of one gathering dust. Is making my own a possibility as there seems to be a massive jump in $$ from the gauge on its own when you add, what appears to be a simple handle structure.
Many Thanks
Oliver

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Re: Thickness Gauge

Post by WJ Guitars » Wed May 22, 2019 11:43 am

I made my own thickness gauge using the plans shown in the Gilet /Gore build book. I think 'Carbatec' supply gauges. I had a spare one that I obtained from 'Stewmac'.

Wayne
https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Thichness gauge Photo.jpg

Saint
Wandoo

Post by Saint » Thu May 23, 2019 7:30 am

Thanks Wayne

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:13 pm

I made an aluminium thickness guage, but have concluded that a marine ply structure is way superior...the aluminium is extremely temperature sensitive and the guage jaws move with temperature, even from the body heat of hand contact. I would surmise that the Chinese aluminium thickness guages also move the same way. Beware online as many are only big enough for violins, not guitars....best to make one imop. Cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

Saint
Wandoo

Post by Saint » Sat May 25, 2019 10:00 am

Thanks Ross. I might give it a go.