RATS

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

blackalex1952
Blackwood

RATS

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:49 am

I have had some winter rats find their way into my humidity controlled space and there is some disturbing staining from their urine on two completed soundboards and also on a couple of soundboards which need thicknessing, especially a lovely light (coloured) piece of Alpine spruce. The issue? Has anyone found a way to bleach, clean or whatever without removing too much wood? The rat urine has penetrating properties....Cheers! Ross
ps: the rats have since been dispatched to rat heaven. An unpleasant clean up job in the dehumidifier department has been completed....
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: RATS

Post by kiwigeo » Tue May 28, 2019 11:13 am

Yes best you fix this problem..otherwise you're going to end up with a "ratty" sounding guitar :mrgreen:
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue May 28, 2019 12:19 pm

You could try scrubbing with deck cleaner/oxalic acid.

I’d definitely do a test piece first.

I’ve used this before to get mineral staining out of Blackwood.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:48 pm

oxalic acid
Yes, of course!!!
otherwise you're going to end up with a "ratty" sounding guitar
Well, a recent build rattled due to a loose brace! Ha ha! I now check all brace gluing with a feeler guage prior to assembly.
Rats love a warm environment in winter. Where I live there are many rats, in summer they forage and in winter they sit around in places like my rh controlled environment. The reason it got out of control is because I took time out due to illness. I just bought some expanding foam filler to finish blocking up a few access points.
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue May 28, 2019 2:26 pm

They like warm engine bays too.

A while back I had one decide to make a meal out of the fuel injection wiring harness in my ute. Plenty of rodent bait went into the shed after that incident!