Torrified Sitka from ASW's salvaged Old Growth Timber

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Alaska Splty Woods

Torrified Sitka from ASW's salvaged Old Growth Timber

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:16 am

We have been thinking about adding Thermally Modified Sitka to our extensive product line of soundboard products. We recently sent a number of sets to one of our customers that uses the process for a test. I selected a number of tops with various character types. Finding 2 sequentially cut sets that were both thicker than most and had distinctly different character types, so that we could see and compare the before and after results. So with 16 sets selected, we sent 8 to get cooked. Turn around with approx 10 days shipping for both sending and receiving via Priority flat rate mail was about 6 weeks. We are happy with the results and the product. But as with most anything to and from Alaska; SHIPPING cost.. I have looked for threads about torrefied tops through the forum and see a number of you use the product. Stew Mac looks to be the only source for torrified Sitka tops. However I know their supply of Sitka is from industrially Clearcut old growth harvested Timber source. By no means is this intended to be a "Crack" at StewMac. They are a good outfit with a broad product line of Luthier supplies. But rather just a distinction of source of old growth Fiber between others and ASW. And we are "Just Soundboard" Producer Professionals.
Anyway, I'm calculating the added cost of Shipping- to and from the cooker, By Truck- Barge- Truck there, then truck- barge truck back to Prince Of Wales Island Alaska, plus the cooking cost. Add a percentage of degrade loss. I see we could offer the AAA Grade Torrified at the same price and not loose our butts, if the product will move. If it just sits here, that is not good. Then it will hurt bad.
My calculations depend on a pallet of material for at least 500 tops. SO for sure, Considerable outlay of expense! A few Thousand bucks. So I am putting feelers out there. Is there interest in this group? If you don't want to answer publicly, you could email me. Brent@AlaskaWoods.com..
As always, "Woods For the Worlds Music - In Harmony with the Land"
IMG_1029.JPG
High Grade Bearclaw
IMG_1028.JPG
Polk Inlet - 400 rd tree This a tree Martin was part of loggin.
IMG_1030.JPG
Cut perfect VG, Check out the medularies Stiff as glass.

Alaska Splty Woods

Re: Torrified Sitka from ASW's salvaged Old Growth Timber

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:22 am

I am going to get right on thicknessing and trimming these 16 sets of cooked/un-cooked sets to all the same dimensions, and record the weights. The post these sets in our online store as 2 set- sets. The uncooked and cooked sequentially cut sets. Each priced per 2 set lot by grade and sort. They will be offered first come first serve basis when posted. I will let you guys know right when they are listed, as well as OLFD and followers of ASW on Facebook.

Alaska Splty Woods

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:30 am

I spose it's not often, if ever, someone building instruments has had opportunity to get a 2 set lot like these, of sequentially cut sets; one torrefied and one not, to do experimentation with. We already knew the reduction in weight/density. So Our experiment was most focused on the aesthetics and how color was effected by the cooking. If certain color variation was homogenized some, a lot or not at all. and how other attributes where effected. With our questions answered, someone else can take advantage to do some testing of their own.

Alaska Splty Woods

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:33 pm

OK Luthier Friends, I have worked on this all afternoon.It’s now 8:30 PM and I have created the category and the 8 product listings. Each with description of dimension and weights both un-cooked and cooked and photo. The listings are set private for now to allow you customers with accounts setup already to have first crack. If your not a customer with an account, you can create one. Here is a link to the category. https://alaskawoods.com/product-categor ... -top-sets/

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:40 pm

That was quick - all gone
Trent

Alaska Splty Woods

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Trent you don’t see them? I have never used the “private” setting before. I can see them when logged in, so I assumed anyone logged in could.. Maybe only admins. Me and my web master? I guess I’ll go make the public. And ask troy about it tomorrow for the next time. Check in 5 minutes.

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:59 pm

Great thanks Brent
Trent

Alaska Splty Woods

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:42 am

It doesn’t surprise me too much that pretty sold before tone. Though all are/were good for tone, some definitely better than others. I conclude that this was a good thing to do, for us and customers. If anyone would like the 2 set- sets produced and offered again, we could do this. 8 set batches works well for us, and allows for use of the priority flat rate box to the cooker and back. But we can do multiples of 8 as well. Even 5 boxes, for 40 sets if need be. I would just need to go through our inventory of tops to select tops that are close to .200” thick so there is enough meat to clean up after the cooking. Just gotta let me know.