Hello from Canada

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rangerdave1
Wandoo

Hello from Canada

Post by rangerdave1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I came across this forum a few months ago and found an interesting post so i registered to see the photos. The forum seems active and there is a lot of good info so I decided to read a bit more and figured I would introduce myself and avoid being a complete lurker :D

A little intro;

My name is Dave, early 30s married with 2 young kids. Been in to fine carpentry since I could walk and have had a interest in to guitar since my mid Teens. I live in the province of Nova Scotia in Canada on our eastern coast. I started collecting woods and building luthier tools about 5 years ago but only started building my first acoustic OM Martin style guitar 4 months ago when my daughter was born. I started with a seconds quality kit but only used the back, top and pre bent sides which I had to bend again.. The rest of the kit I kept and used as templates and pieces to measure from. The guitar is alomost done with the neck shaped and fitted ready for final sanding and finish.

My plan was to build this first guitar as a trial and build a few from scratch afterwards. I will likely wait a few months to start another as our summer is just beginning here in Canada.

Here are some photos
Attachments
IMG_3565.JPG
IMG_3564.JPG
IMG_3563.JPG
IMG_3562.JPG
IMG_3427.JPG

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by WJ Guitars » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:32 pm

Welcome Dave to the forum. I like your workshop.

The guitar build looks great. Nice looking fingerboard timber grain that gives an interesting character to the guitar.

Wayne
https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:02 am

Well done Dave! I love the OM design, personally. The dreadnought guitars are over represented, although bassier but not as even in tone to my style of playing...you mentioned building in winter. Either way, the relative humidity is the issue really. Learn about humidity management. Welcome to the best forum on the web! Cheers, Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:53 am

Hello Dave, welcome to the forum. Looks like you are off to a fantastic start. The neck looks like you've been carving them for years. I'm sure it will be a stunner when its done.

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:01 am

Welcome, Dave. Look forward to seeing more of your builds
Trent

rangerdave1
Wandoo

Post by rangerdave1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:29 am

The neck was certainly a challenge. The one shown is the second one as the first had a visiual flaw which I did not like. I used a Martin neck as a model and made a few profile templates from it to use a guide. I had to buy a few wrasp as this was my first time carving anything. Took it slow and I am happy with the result.

Here are a few photos from this morning as I was sanding and getting ready for finishing.
Attachments
IMG_3714.JPG
IMG_3713.JPG
IMG_3712.JPG
IMG_3711.JPG

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:10 am

From the looks of things, the templates were a good call. The neck is very clean, looks smooth and silky.