Ivoroid

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

limehills
Kauri

Ivoroid

Post by limehills » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:57 pm

Alright so I've never really used plastic binding before, and I'm wondering how it behaves with a french polish finish, does the shellac stick to it ok? i just don't want it flaking off after a while.
Laurence.

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Ivoroid

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:21 pm

Not sure. It takes to epoxy resin ok.....I use epoxy for pore filling.
limehills wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:57 pm
Alright so I've never really used plastic binding before, and I'm wondering how it behaves with a french polish finish, does the shellac stick to it ok? i just don't want it flaking off after a while.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:24 pm

Martin

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:03 pm

I mostly use ABS plastic bindings from StewMac and I always seal my guitars with shellac prior to spraying lacquer. Never had any issues.
Attachments
IMG_6356.jpg
IMG_6356.jpg (281.18 KiB) Viewed 9094 times
Ken

jfmckenna
Wandoo

Post by jfmckenna » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:45 am

I'm finishing these two up right now in French Polish and it sticks just fine. I am using a dark amber button shellac so it does change the color considerably so that might be something to consider. I think it looks good but you may not. BUt otherwise Shellac sticks to everything well.

Also don't forget to wash coat the bindings first, especially if you are using rosewood back and sides. The rosewood will bleed color into the ivoroid.

limehills
Kauri

Post by limehills » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:57 am

awesome thanks for the replies, that archtop looks marvelous! And I love the colour of amber shellac so I'm not to worried about that. your polishing looks great by the way. also how do you go about putting a wash coat on?
Laurence.

jfmckenna
Wandoo

Post by jfmckenna » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:27 am

limehills wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:57 am
awesome thanks for the replies, that archtop looks marvelous! And I love the colour of amber shellac so I'm not to worried about that. your polishing looks great by the way. also how do you go about putting a wash coat on?
Wash coat might not be the right terminology since that commonly is used to refer to the whole guitar, spit coat too. Sealing might be a better word. But anyway, in French Polish to protect certain parts of the work from wood color bleeding you seal it first. For bindings on a guitar take a small piece of cloth, say something like 10x10cm and fold it over and over till you have a small square. Drop or dip some shellac on it and rub it out along the bindings in long strokes. Turn the cloth over and or refold it often so as to have a fresh surface without any color bleed in it. The first coat might require a few of these cloths. 30 minutes should be long enough to do it again, I usually do 3 coats. Then I will use something like a Hake brush and brush a spit coat of shellac on the entire body but still trying to avoid the binding. After that you should be good to go, everything should be sealed and you can begin filling and or French Polishing.

I think the dark amber stuff looks great too. I always used a lighter amber shellac. This is the first time I am trying a dark button shellac and I really like it.