Aussie Blackwood questions - bending, working

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Aussie Blackwood questions - bending, working

Post by Rod True » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:37 am

So I have two guitars to make which will both be out of Aussie Blackwood (which I got from Tim Spittle of Aussie Tonewoods )

Now, I've never worked with this wood before and I don't want to have to call Tim up and ask for another set because I screwed something up.

Bending? Anything I need to know here? I'll be thinning the sides down to 0.080-0.085" I normally wrap my wood in aluminum foil after a light spritz with water. Will this be OK or will it turn green like Koa can?

Glueing? I'm planning on these two guitars to be mostly built with fish glue, will this be a problem at all for the Aussie blackwood?

Working? My guess is that the wood works easily enough. I use a drum sander for thicknessing and your basic other power tools - routers for binding channels etc...

Thanks in advance for any responses (perferably on target and not smart ass comments :D although those will do too )

Chopper
Beefwood

Aussie Blackwood

Post by Chopper » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:34 am

Hi Rod,
Blackwood will bend with no problems at all. It will turn green if you only wrap it in foil, I have found that placing two layers of blotting paper on the out side and one on the inside of the timber first and then wrapping in the foil will prevent the green thing happening. It seems to help if it is completely sealed by the foil as well. Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy using this great timber.
Cheers John

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:21 pm

Black wood bends really easily, but any contact with metal will turn it a ghastly green. It's just a surface staining though and if you do get some, don't panic, it will sand out. The first set I used was bent at 3 mm thick and I used 150 watt bulbs in my bender before I had a heat blanket. No worries.

Glueing hasn't been a problem for me at all. It's beautiful wood to use, and I'm sure that you'll continue to want to use it when possible.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia