OM plans

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

xray
Blackwood

OM plans

Post by xray » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:19 pm

I am in the hunt for some high detailed OM plans for my next make. Does anyone have links to sites that have them. i was looking at the stew mac site today and noticed the book and plan kit for an OM and i am interested if anyone has these plans and whether they are okay?

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:59 pm

The Jonathan Kinkaid book has plans for his interpretation of a Martin OM and is a useful book to have in any case.

There are Acacias from Northern NSW and Qld, often called Sally Wattle, which looks much like the Tasmanian/Victorian variety though often lighter in colour and coarser in the grain. I think (not entirely sure) that it is still acacia melanoxylon and suspect that the colour/grain difference is because it grows more quickly in warmer climates. Much like the 'black acacia' that grows prolifically in parts of the US (Australian trees that someone planted over there) and gets sold quite a bit.

If the boards are bending and twisting it is likely just a result of the way it was sawn in the first place. In guitar sized bits it should be pretty stable once it is dry. Don't try to re-saw wet blackwood. It can almost instantly turn into potato chips.

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:17 pm

G'day Xray,

Here is a link to some plans:

http://www.grellier.fr/plans.php?lang=en

LMI sell OM plans with good detail.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Alan

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Graham McDonald wrote:The Jonathan Kinkaid book has plans for his interpretation of a Martin OM and is a useful book to have in any case.

There are Acacias from Northern NSW and Qld, often called Sally Wattle, which looks much like the Tasmanian/Victorian variety though often lighter in colour and coarser in the grain. I think (not entirely sure) that it is still acacia melanoxylon and suspect that the colour/grain difference is because it grows more quickly in warmer climates. Much like the 'black acacia' that grows prolifically in parts of the US (Australian trees that someone planted over there) and gets sold quite a bit.

If the boards are bending and twisting it is likely just a result of the way it was sawn in the first place. In guitar sized bits it should be pretty stable once it is dry. Don't try to re-saw wet blackwood. It can almost instantly turn into potato chips.

cheers

graham
Wise words indeed Graham,

A few years ago Tim Spittle gave me a 15" board of green aussie blackwood to resaw for him as the saw he was using back then would not handle that depth of cut. I took that board home eager to help my mate and, with a brand new saw blade, I done my level best to get the job done. I now suspect that cheeky boy Tim may just have been having a laugh at my expense.

I can tell you that the force of such a board as it is resawn and it's tension is released back onto the fence is quite simply irresistible. In fact the word 'hydraulic' springs to mind and any wood that was recovered quickly made a mockery of my best efforts to sticker it an weight it flat. NOTHING was going to stop that 15" of crotch wood from doing what ever it wanted....we live, and we learn :lol:

Cheers

Kim

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:14 pm

The OM plans from LMI drawn by Scott Antes are over braced and will produce a very dead sounding guitar IF built as per the plans. But with the simple mod of reducing the brace width to 1/4" and being mindful of brace height a superb instrument can be produced from these plans.

Also, I can't say much here or I will have to kill you all but look for Stew-Mac to be offering some new plans this fall or winter. These will include an OM as well and the plans are excellent and already have been used by many builders with great success.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:37 pm

Hmm,

Hesh, would there also be an SJ per chance? Maybe the MP version yes?? :lol:

Cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:44 am

I've got both the 000 and 0M plans from LMI by Scott Antes. As Hesh said, they are very over braced, but it's really simple to just reduce the brace sizing to something lighter if that is the way you want to go.

There is an ebay store that sells plans that I've used quite a bit as their plans and shipping are much less than LMI's

Pilgrim Projects.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:33 pm

Kim - Yes - damn it, now I said to much...... :D I would say more but I don't want to be a "Payne" in the arse.......

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:46 pm

I have both plans that I put with kits.

regards

Tim
[url]http://www.australiantonewoods.com[/url]