Musical Instrument Auction Melbourne.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Musical Instrument Auction Melbourne.

Post by Mike Thomas » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:06 pm

https://auctions.leonardjoel.com.au/cus ... _no=LJ8313
The catalogue makes for interesting browsing.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

seeaxe
Blackwood

Re: Musical Instrument Auction Melbourne.

Post by seeaxe » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:52 am

If only he had been left handed...I might have been on a plane to Melbourne!!

Some of the "estimates" seem quite low. I'm assuming that estimate doesn't mean what they think it will sell for.
Some very nice looking guitars in there, sorely tempted by the 2 Ramirezs. But, auction cost plus 24% plus shipping plus NZ import duty probably also GST, it will end up being a very expensive guitar!

Oh well, back to the shed....
Richard

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:23 am

The auction was yesterday, and the winning bids are now shown with the images. One of the Ramirez guitars sold for AUD$11,000.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

asgilbert
Blackwood

Post by asgilbert » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:00 pm

I was on it thinking could get a couple of gems at a bargain price... My idea of bargain and the bidders the auction attracted were about 200 to 400% out! And, there was a 25% buyers premium on the prices. The DÁngelico went for $30,000 + BP!!
The collectors world is very different to the one I live in!!

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:33 pm

Yep, I watched the auction too. Geez there were some nice and interesting instruments in that collection - and some eye watering prices! Thanks for the original link Mike 8)

I was seriously considering bidding on this one -
martin_style20_1929.jpg
An old Martin from 1929, Style 20. Very elegant IMO. Martin are not really known for their Mandolins and so it did not go as high as many other Martin instruments did. It sold for only $1300, plus the 25%, plus another 5% if bidding online...

Well regarded or not, I think that price is a bargain for a 90 year old quality made instrument in great condition like that. Very much like some of the old Lyon and Healy mandolins in style - one that Peter Coombe picked up some time back comes to mind. Neither are known for their thumping bluegrass twang like an F5 Gibson, but for a more subtle and complex tone. Would have been great to study it and use for reference, let alone learn to play it.

Sadly, I could not afford to bid... Maybe another day.

Speaking of testing, it would have been great if someone could have had access to such a collection prior to it being scattered through the world, to take some pertinent physical measurements and better yet, spectrum data. What an opportunity to collect reference material that could be published in turn.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:32 pm

My son went to the auction in Melbourne and put in some bids for me. The prices well exceeded the “bargain” estimates in the catalogue, so we ended up empty handed. He commented that it is interesting that unplayable old banjos are a lot cheaper than unplayable old mandolins. But on the other hand some of the stuff on offer was lovely.

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:26 am

The photos are excellent, as Jeremy's post demonstrates. They constitute a valuable resource, and worth saving for those instruments in which you have an interest.
Mike Thomas

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:25 am

There's some gems in there, some of those instruments went for a bargain.

For those who weren't aware this was the personal collection of John Hurlston or "Hurlo".
I had the pleasure of meeting Hurlo a few times, great bloke, loved a yarn, amazing guitar and car collection. He passed away in 2015(?) i believe.