Glue choice for lattice

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mChavez
Gidgee

Glue choice for lattice

Post by mChavez » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:59 am

Hello to all lattice builders!

I would be grateful for some advice on choosing the glue for gluing down the lattice to the soundboard.
In my current build I have decided to avoid CF and balsa (for the time being), so just going for a 7x7 spruce lattice on a spruce soundboard.

The options are:
1) West System, epoxy with a set of pumps. Glue in one go, let the epoxy wick into the joints. I haven't used the stuff yet, so don't know how easy or difficult it is to apply. Generally, I do not get on well with epoxies - i.e. they end up everywhere (hands, clothes, hair, floor, walls) apart from the joint itself and I'm always worried of getting the mixing ratios wrong (albeit the pumps should help).
2) Good old titebond. Glue the lattice in one go.
I imagine, I'll have to first apply the glue to all the cross joints and then to the bottom of the lattice, which seems like a very long job - is there a risk that the glue starts drying up before I clamp the lattice to the solera? Glue clean-up will be difficult, if not impossible.
3) Titebond, glue half of the lattice first, then glue the second half. This way I can assemble the lattice (to get all the spacing right), apply titebond to half of the braces, go-bar them down, clean up the glue. Once dry, apply glue to cross-joints and the other half of the lattice.
The only concern I have here is that once the first half of the lattice is domed in the solera, it might be impossible to take the other half of the braces out (the cross-joints will act as mini claps when the lattice is domed) or put them back in without chipping the joints...

Any advice is welcome!

Thank you.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Re: Glue choice for lattice

Post by Steve.Toscano » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:54 am

How i approach a non CF lattice:
1) Glue up the lattice off the soundboard as a single unit with titebond. Glue it between 2x flat boards (i used perspex) clamped onto a flat bench.
2) Shape the bottom of the lattice in solera with sandpaper.
3) Glue the lattice as 1 structure onto the soundboard using titebond in solera with go bar deck and a stack of bars.
4) Shape lattice appropriately.

FYI. if using CF the process is the same except step 3 i use wests systems epoxy and lay down the CF onto the lattice, then do the same after shaping the lattice.

mChavez
Gidgee

Post by mChavez » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:33 pm

Thank you very much, Steve.

Have you tried gluing without pre-shaping on the solera? It's a more complex shape (the traditional Spanish dish in the centre, with ~1.5in flats around the edges), so might not be as easy to shape as if it was a perfect dome. But worth a try.

I have thought about pre-gluing the lattice - do you ever experience too much stress on the pre-glued joints when shaping? I.e. any risk of them coming apart while the lattice is being worked on?

I guess it's all the case of experimenting and trying and seeing what happens for me at the moment, but the last thing I want is for one of these wee braces to come loose and start buzzing, so getting a bit nervous here. Too many joints!

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:37 pm

I know you don't want to use CF on this one but if you're worried about some bracing coming loose you could just lay some along the top after you've shaped it, it'll wick into the joints so they should be fine. All my guitars are CF and epoxy lattice braced, SS and classicals ( except for the odd falcate) never had a brace come loose ( not yet anyway).
Wayne

mChavez
Gidgee

Post by mChavez » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:49 am

Thank you very much. Just installed my first two lattices.
Am I right to think that I can wick some west epoxy into the lattice-soundboard joints if I have any doubts over how well they were executed (First lattice had a few teething issues, but the second worked very well).

Nothing's loose or buzzing, but I do like a belt-and-braces approach.