packaging tape for binding

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

blackalex1952
Blackwood

packaging tape for binding

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:50 pm

I am looking for a source of the reinforced packaging tape to use for binding work...any recommendations? What are you using and do you find that the tape is strong enough by itself or do you still bind with stretchy cord or rubber as well? Cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: packaging tape for binding

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Ive tried everything for securing binding.....dress makers bias binding tape, macrame rope and a host of different tapes available here in Australia. I haven't found anything that performs as well as the binding tape sold by LMI/Stewmac. I always apply the tape at an angle to grain direction and never have problems with tear out when I pull the tape off.
blackalex1952 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:50 pm
I am looking for a source of the reinforced packaging tape to use for binding work...any recommendations? What are you using and do you find that the tape is strong enough by itself or do you still bind with stretchy cord or rubber as well? Cheers! Ross
Martin

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:58 am

I use the pretty standard tape from 3 M. I am in the UK but I'm sure it will be available in Oz. Having recently bound the guitar in the pic it is probably the best I have done so far because the bindings were bent accurately. This I think is key.

Unlike Martin I have had issues with some Engelmann spruce losing fibres but I think that was me being impatient. This one is Sitka and the tape came away cleanly.

Dave M
Attachments
Tape 1.jpg
------------------
Dave

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:15 am

3M 8981 Filament tape works a treat, tacky enough and strong to pull binding into the work on both faces.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

Fisherman
Blackwood

Post by Fisherman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:58 am

The lmii or stewmac tape is the best. If I run out I just make up some doubled strips of masking tape to give it a bit more strength when installing.

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:39 pm

Rc tonewoods sell 3m #401 tape as there binding tape , I thought I'd try it so I checked eBay found some bought 2 rolls, works great I've since bought another bulk buy of 6 rolls, I think it's as good as the stewmac tape especially now they've changed to that orange one. I've tried the filament tape too, I don't like it cause you have to cut it instead of just tearing it.
Wayne

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Just an after thought, getting fibres tearing out when removing the tape is easily avoided by sealing the top with shellac first , I do this before I rout for bindings and also the rosette.
Wayne

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:27 pm

Yep....a coat of shellac definitely helps reduce tear out.
56nortondomy wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:50 pm
Just an after thought, getting fibres tearing out when removing the tape is easily avoided by sealing the top with shellac first , I do this before I rout for bindings and also the rosette.
Wayne
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:45 am

blackalex1952 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:50 pm
I use the two-way filament tape from these guys who happen to be just down the road from me:

https://www.getpacked.com.au/c/adhesive-tapes/12 - (near the bottom of the first page, available in a variety of widths - the narrow stuff being good for cutaways, etc.)

The two-way tape is easier to get off as the cross filaments hold the long filaments together. Use a good, heavy tape dispenser with a serrated cutting edge (or pre-cut prior to use). There is no need for anything other than the tape. Shellac first.

These guys seem to have every sort of tape imaginable!

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:22 pm

I like the orange tape from Stumc, pretty strong.
I always give the spruce tops a bit of shellac sealer to protect from tear out I also use a heat gun on very low to soften the adhesive a bit when pulling the tape off. I also use rubber bands along with the tape when needed

Cheers

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:57 am

I've tryed pretty much all of them. Everything from gaffa tape, to bunnings masking.
For me i found the best is the stewmac brown paper tape, as it seems to have just the right amount of tack (lots) and the right amount of stretch (a tiny bit).

In saying that filament tape like Trevor linked to is good as you can see any gaps under it, so much so i've just bought a bunch to revisit it.

Definitely shellac first.

Woodsy23
Blackwood

Post by Woodsy23 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:44 pm

I'm pretty sure that filament tape is available at Officeworks.
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:41 am

LMI has a special on their binding tape.....a few of you might want to get together and do a bulk buy and cut down on freight costs.
https://www.lmii.com/tape/29517-sale-4- ... 19f6c226f9
Martin