New Luthier Tips du Jour video-What is torrefied wood?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

New Luthier Tips du Jour video-What is torrefied wood?

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:28 am

Here is the latest Luthier Tips du Jour video. - In this video I explain what torrefied wood is and how it is produced.
This video as well as all my other videos are available via my website, http://www.obrienguitars.com/videos , LMI's website or on youtube.
Don't forget to subscribe to my channel if you want to get the latest Luthier Tips du Jour videos when they are released.

youtu.be/6g2crKx1D0g
www.obrienguitars.com

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Re: New Luthier Tips du Jour video-What is torrefied wood?

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Very interesting and informative...Water has weight, so soundboards which remain dry and don't react to humidity variations as much would be lighter? Also, it is feasible that a torrefied guitar has less movement in it for the same reason and can therefore be built to finer tolerances. I have read that torrefied wood is less transparent when a light is shone through it, and that is one of the methods used to distinguish between a good violin forgery and a genuine antique instrument.
As to the patent or secretive approach to "recipies", this implies that because different kiln operators use different recipies torrefied wood will vary between suppliers. Perhaps an industry standard would be a good idea?
I'm looking forward to comments from luthiers who have used this material! A lot of energy used to run an oven for 80 hours! That translates to added costs per item and is also an environmental issue if global warming enters into one's thinking...
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"