Truss rod Installation

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

limehills
Kauri

Truss rod Installation

Post by limehills » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:01 am

Ok so i've always installed truss rods with the opening on the peghead, but I would prefer to flip them around so they can be adjusted through the sound hole. The only problem is I have no idea how to do this.... I've looked online to see if i can find any pictures, tutorials or plans for reference but had no luck. Im not super keen to be messing around trying to figure it out and wrecking guitars, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated Thanks :D
Laurence.

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Re: Truss rod Installation

Post by graham mcdonald » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:30 am

Depends on on neck attachment and style of truss rod, but essentially the installation is exactly the same. The adjusting nut wants to be close to the heel end of the neck and you will need to drill holes through the neck block and the upper transverse brace that line up with the adjusting nut. Putting a hole in the middle of that brace will compromise its strength, so maybe make it little higher and thicker to compensate.

Cheers
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Valben
Myrtle

Post by Valben » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:57 am

Following pics may help. I keep the opening size in the upper brace about 1 mm more than the size of the truss road end.
I cut the slot on the neck block and guitar top ( after the neck is installed) with a small laminate trimmer using a clamped fence.
Valter
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg

limehills
Kauri

Post by limehills » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:46 am

Thanks for the responses. Im using a dovetail joint, and 4mm Hotrod Truss rods from stewmac. So do I leave the truss rod just sticking out of the end of the dovetail and use a long allen key?, how do I extend it out so its flush top brace??
Laurence.

Valben
Myrtle

Post by Valben » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:57 am

For a soundhole adjust solution you will need a longer truss rod than the the neck adjust solution.
Some pics below may help to understand.
Valter
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg

limehills
Kauri

Post by limehills » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:06 pm

Cool thank you very much, I appreciate it :)
Laurence.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:10 am

My truss rod adjuster always stops either flush with end of neck block. I don't run the adjuster through the upper transverse brace as I want to make the hole through same as small as possible....usually a 7mm diam hole. A rod adjuster allen key will be long enough to pass through the hole in the rod adjuster socket and finding the socket isn't difficult if there's a gap between the adjuster socket and brace.

Something else I do is make sure the is a bit of wood left between the bottom of the hole and the bottom of the brace ( = underside of top).....notching out the brace is going to weaken the brace more than a hole through it's middle.
Martin