'Milling' with a drill press

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

sleake
Myrtle

'Milling' with a drill press

Post by sleake » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:59 am

Hi all.

The books make it pretty clear that a drill press is a vital bit of machinery, ive got all the usual woodwork gear and once had an ancient press that had so much runout in the spindle it was worthless so i ditched it.

Now looking at a new press, and was hoping to get away with a 'budget' generic pedestal drill for around 400 bucks.

In addition to drilling, i was wondering if anyone has had success with using a basic press and a 2 axis vice for simple timber milling operations, such as saddle slots, slotted headstocks, truss rod slots etc.

I can see that low rpm and sideway bearing play might be potentially problematic, but perhaps light passed and slow feed rates can overcome this?

Hoping there might be some success stories, or perhaps tales of woe.

Cheers steve.

nkforster
Blackwood

Re: 'Milling' with a drill press

Post by nkforster » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:29 pm

You can "mill" on a drill press with a Saftey planer. Stewmac sell a version of it. Though it has to be said, the results from this are not great, neither is is all that safe. I've used one for thicknessing heads but I have to say its a faff to set up and the results were not as clean as I'd hoped. A tablesaw is easier. and better.

A drill press doesn't run fast enough to mill slots for saddles or to rout slots. You need a router or spindle moulder for this.

A drill press is good for drilling holes. That's what I use mine for. With a small buff you can polish nuts and saddles. Thats about all you can do with them.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:45 pm

You'd be better off buying a small milling machine if that is what you plan on using it for. I have a full size knee mill that is a kick ass drill, as well as full on milling anything from timber to steel. Works a treat for thicknessing bone for nuts and saddles.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:11 pm

"In addition to drilling, i was wondering if anyone has had success with using a basic press and a 2 axis vice for simple timber milling operations, such as saddle slots, slotted headstocks, truss rod slots etc."

I use a router or router table for all of these operations. For cutting saddle slots I use a Dremel and a Stewmac jig.
Martin

sleake
Myrtle

Post by sleake » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:18 pm

Allen wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:45 pm
You'd be better off buying a small milling machine if that is what you plan on using it for. I have a full size knee mill that is a kick ass drill, as well as full on milling anything from timber to steel. Works a treat for thicknessing bone for nuts and saddles.
Thanks Allen.

Yes thats the decision I'm currently tossing up, as a proper metalworking mill has so much versatility when compared to just a drill press, albeit at a higher price, but i can think of a million and one uses for it.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:12 pm

I have seen a small combination lathe/milling machine/drill press on a Facebook ad, made in China for under $400. If I was flash.... ($400 is luthier wood or food to me). There may be an Aussie importer of similar machines, possibly worth checking out for build quality...?
I have a safety planer, and I think they are a bit scary, although I use it for certain jobs...I also use a cross slide vice and milling bits on my drill press for small items like bridges.
Cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

TKAY
Kauri

Post by TKAY » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:00 pm

Milling with a drill press is somewhat problematic. I have a NOVA voyager DVR press, which is able to achieve up to 5000 rpm ,however one needs to be extremely careful that the spindles are secure as most are only a morse taper and the chucks do not even have a tang.
It is very disconcerting to have the chuck and cutter to drop down while being used . Cutting on one side can lnduce small vibrations which will dislodge the shank of the drill. That said this drill is able with care (at a price) for minor milling in timber and the speed changing at the turn of a knob is FANTASTIC!!!!!

sleake
Myrtle

Post by sleake » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Thanks so much for the first hand advice everyone.

Time to go mill shopping :gui