Advice on removing HHGed binding

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob_H
Blackwood

Advice on removing HHGed binding

Post by Bob_H » Fri May 22, 2020 1:50 pm

Hi All

I have decided to redo the binding on my current Tiger Myrtle / King Billy ukulele build as I am not happy with the result (gaps and inconsistent depth of channel) and made the mistake of shaping them before deciding that the gaps / variations were more than I was happy with, so adjusting the existing bindings by local application of heat and retaping is not a real option (lessons learnt!).

I have decided to remove the existing binding and replace them. I have used hot hide glue, but what would be the best way to apply heat to the bindings to release the glue, given that I don't want to also release the back or or the bracing? Would a hit knife, or a soldering iron through wet cloth, or similar be better than a heat gun (a bit indiscriminate I would have though))?

All and any advice gratefully received
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

johnparchem
Blackwood

Re: Advice on removing HHGed binding

Post by johnparchem » Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 pm

If I am not saving the bindings I just pretend they are not there and recut the binding channels with my binding jig. If I want to save the bindings I start at one end and use a heat gun and a spatula to gently work the bind off. I just work along the binding heating and removing.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 22, 2020 2:29 pm

Unless you need to keep the bindings just go in with a router and rout them out.
Martin

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Fri May 22, 2020 5:52 pm

Thanks one and all - I should have thought of that!
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch