Danelectro U2 plans?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

bernm
Sassafras

Danelectro U2 plans?

Post by bernm » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:37 am

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know where I can get plans for a Danelectro U2 (or the '56 reissue from the 90's, or the current '57 reissue - all the same guitar pretty much)?

I've had a look in the Plans forum but so far haven't found anything. I did find one reference through Google, but the link was dead when I checked yesterday.

(If this post should be in the Plans forum, please let me know and I am happy to move it. I posted here because the Plans forum appears to be more a collection of links rather than discussion).

And while I'm asking, does anyone know if any Australian (or NZ, given the context here) pickup makers offer a good vintage low-output lipstick pickup?

Thanks!
Bern

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Re: Danelectro U2 plans?

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:13 pm

I built a DC dano copy, no idea on the U2
Recommend NOT using Neptone pickups.

bernm
Sassafras

Post by bernm » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:53 pm

I've found some building info on other Dano guitars. Since it's just a laminated body, I'm going to use techniques from Dano in general, but copy the U2 shape. Should be easy enough by enlarging a pic big enough since I know the scale length. It doesn't need to be perfect anyway, because I'm aiming to do this "cheaply" (not budget though), almost as a prototype. If I'm happy with the result, I'll try another that's a little more upscale, i.e. basically a U2 but with modern refinements and higher quality timbers, etc.

Anyway, if anyone does happen to know of any U2 plans, I'm still interested. But I have a way forward now nonetheless. Thanks!

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:56 pm

[/quote]

Keep Googling, I found heaps of references.
Have you thought about going to a second hand music shop, crapping on about how good you are as a luthier, then asking if you could could trace the outline of a guitar of interest in order to make your own template as a plan? For future reference, of course...

Personally, I don't see the logic in making a guitar out of masonite and cheap pine...at least use treated pine for the neck so that it will last in the ground if you need to use it at the front gate so visitors can find your house! :mrgreen: Sorry if I'm being rude, but they aren't the greatest sounding guitars...not with thumpy lack of sustain caused by the masonite and lousy pickups as well. If the Danelectro concept keeps going, there will be a thread re the old masonite vs the new masonite relative to tone!!!! They were cheap, the poor mans entry to a gig that didn't pay much anyway! Once again, apologies for being flippant, but with the same amount of effort and skill, you perhaps could build something like a Telecaster Thinline, chambered, with your own refined cool body shape design and some hand wound pickups from an Aussie pickup winder who makes good pups. I know of at least three good Aussie commercial pup winders, if interested in their details pm me. One of them may even do a custom lipstick pup for you but you would have to ask them yourself. Cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:03 pm

I used wood instead of Masonite for mine, and made a few mods to the original design like an adjustable truss rod, a shorter neck pocket and master vol and tone instead of concentric pots. But I used original style lipsicks and original (but steel not aluminium) bridge.

I don't think of it in terms of good or bad for tone or sustain, its just a different sound, yes the pickups are lower output, but the series position is useful.

The nep- tone pickups were a problem for me because I wanted that RWRW polarity series position but they were supplied with a hardwired groundshield and single conductor which would have had the casing live in series position. The supplier was quite dismissive of my concerns and then the mounting bracket broke. I bought an alternative replacement which was cheaper and had 2 conductor wiring.

bernm
Sassafras

Post by bernm » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:42 pm

Yes, I’m planning on the same - ‘proper’ timbers instead of Masonite, neck with truss rod, master volume and tone, the adjustable Dano bridge rather than the one with a timber saddle. I may even depart even further and put in some Filtertrons instead of lipsticks, or one of each. I’m also considering a Filtertron in the neck and something like a Cream T Banger & Mash in the bridge.

In the end I want something quality but not over the top, looking like a U2 with some slight mods, and keeping with the laminate design for the body. I was also just at the Maton exhibit at the Powerhouse museum here in Sydney, and some of their retro designs have sparked some ideas too.