custom cases

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nkforster
Blackwood

custom cases

Post by nkforster » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:52 am

Been trying to get a reply from 4 different custom case makers in Australia, and none of them have answered - either email or phone. Caseman, GigGear, Athol and Aerolyte. Its a bit frustrating.

Anyone know anyone who makes custom fitted cases? Are Presto still in business?

I'm after cases for my Celtic mandolins. For years I used a mandola case sold by Thomann. They switched suppliers and the new cases don't fit so I'm a bit stuck as my mandolins are too big for a generic case.

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Re: custom cases

Post by peter.coombe » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:53 am

Welcome to my world. Presto Cases is no longer in business. They closed down just when I had several cases on order with them so I was not happy, but the reason they closed was due to serious illness of one of the partners. I used them for just about everything, except the cheapest mandolins, and for those I used AP cases which are also now no longer available. I have also used Cedar Creek custom shop in the USA for custom cases for mandolas and mandolins (excellent), but they are now getting to be ridiculously expensive. For custom cases I don't have any economical solution at the moment. Cedar Creek is still my fallback if desperate and is the only means I can get a decent mandola case that fits perfectly. For mandolins I found musiccompo.com, based in Hong Kong, who make carbon fiber and fiberglass cases. Their mandolin cases are excellent, but won't fit your mandolins. Their carbon fiber case is rated to 80kg and is lightweight and nicely made for around $550 AUD. I tried to get a small guitar case from them, but the transport cost was ridiculous. They will do custom cases, but you need to order a minimum quantity of 20 cases. I passed on that. So what to do? I have been pouring over case specifications and have found a case that sort of fits for my tenor guitars with a bit of added padding, a banjo case that sort of fits after modifications for my octave mandolins. Musiccompo have done a small modification to their standard mandolin cases so my short neck mandolins will fit perfectly, so mandolins are ok for the time being.

There is a market for quality custom made cases in Australia at the moment. We just need to persuade someone to start a business making them! Take over from where Presto Cases left a hole. I have tried, but so far some interest, but no success.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:08 am

If I had the space to make them, I would! I know Jack Clark who used to make Stefan Sobells cases said the real pain was lining them. Making shells is messy work but not so difficult. Now with laser cutting of foam, it should be a bit quicker than it used to be.

Very frustrating that the firms who actually do this don't reply. Oh well...

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:31 am

Actually Pete, I typed "custom case maker QLD" into Google rather than searching the whole country. Spoke to a feller who sells these:

http://www.qldcase.com.au/wp-content/up ... n/1700.pdf

Its a gun case. With custom cut foam we're be looking around the $600 mark.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:01 pm

Hiscox make a mandolin case that will fit either a F or A style mando, i got one to fit this Jazz style i made a few years back..
Not sure if Tony Villianti is still in business but he made a few cases for me earlier on.
Cheers

Rod.
Attachments
IMG_1979.JPG
IMG_1979.JPG (60.9 KiB) Viewed 7163 times
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:49 am

Yes, the Hiscox case fits my A model but is too small for my Celtic one...

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:08 am

I did get a custom mandolin case made by a fellow I met at Port Fairy FF. Cost was very reasonable, but it is a flight case, bulky and heavy but very strong. He measured one of my mandolins and the fit is perfect, but so perfect it won't fit any of my other models of mandolins. The interior is foam that looks like it has been laser cut. Not something I would like to lug around at gigs or sessions, but good if you are a pro and need to travel a lot. Most people don't want a heavy case like that so it is still in storage. His web page has vanished, but he is on Facebook. Search for Stockade Cases or email caseguy@optusnet.com.au.

I do use Hiscox cases, they are the only ones that will fit my 2 point mandolins, but have had complaints about how bulky they are, and they have a ridiculously long lead time if the Aussie distributor runs out of stock.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:43 pm

The Caseman in Croydon made this one for me, absolutely fantastic quality but as Peter said a bit heavy for a gigging must but good for travelling, Tony Vilianti, Post code3083, as i said not sure if he's still in the game but if you want his phone number let me know..

Rod

www.octiganguitars.com

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:41 pm

Yes, please do pass his number on. Can you post a pic of the case he made?

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm

I don't have any pics of the cases Tony made for me..

Rod

www.octiganguitars.com