Bocote

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

KreherGuitars
Beefwood

Bocote

Post by KreherGuitars » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:17 am

I purchased some Bocote awhile back. I was and am unfamiliar with the wood. It was a nice brown like a rosewood almost. And as I started thicknessing it it became this blond stripy wood. After some google searches I found out it’s kinda supposed to be that way. However I would like it to all be this way. Any advice on what to do to get the brown to turn this color? Is it a heat thing? Can I cook it? Is there a chemical or solvent To use? I need some uniformity!
Attachments
CF53669A-2D92-4270-9903-33B1D7D613F8.jpeg

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Bocote

Post by Mark McLean » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:19 pm

The cut surface gets oxidized to a darker colour. Cut or sand it and it looks lighter, but over time (weeks rather than years) it will oxidize back to the darker colour. Smells pretty spicy doesn't it?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:32 pm

With Bocote I believe it's either an oxidation or UV exposure thing. If you like the nice brown colour then make your guitar and then leave it in the sun for a few months before finishing :)
KreherGuitars wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:17 am
I purchased some Bocote awhile back. I was and am unfamiliar with the wood. It was a nice brown like a rosewood almost. And as I started thicknessing it it became this blond stripy wood. After some google searches I found out it’s kinda supposed to be that way. However I would like it to all be this way. Any advice on what to do to get the brown to turn this color? Is it a heat thing? Can I cook it? Is there a chemical or solvent To use? I need some uniformity!
Martin

jfmckenna
Wandoo

Post by jfmckenna » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:16 am

I used Bocote on the first guitar I built in 1992 I think it was. It didn't take long, just a few years, that it started darkening. Now it's a deep rich brown with hints of red. Still looks good though. So enjoy the light color for a little while, while you can :)

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:22 am

My Bocote never did change colour, beautiful tigress pattern.
Shrinks and cracks like a bigger though. Be very mindful of humidity changes.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:42 pm

As Mark said...

It oxidises. So if you want the pale yellowy shades with black stripe, you need to sand, plane or scrape all the pieces evenly. The fresh cut or planed surface is what exhibits the bold colours and contrasting stripes in Bocote.

It will thereafter, start to oxidise. Eventually, this will turn the timber to a rich brown, with black stripes instead. However, that process can be slowed with the application of finish - this creates a thin barrier to the elements and protects from UV to some extent. This will impede the reaction and you can maintain that fresh cut colouring for years, maybe more - depending on many factors. Eventually it will change, but that's not a bad thing.

On the flip side as Martin said, if you were to sand and plane to a fresh face, but wanted the brown back - you'd need to expose it to the elements to speed the process! Sun and air on the raw timber would do the trick, but it still takes time.

There are many timbers that oxidise and react in this way, changing colour from fresh planed face to well aged.

Cheers.

Jeremy.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:57 am

Embrace the "patina" :mrgreen:
Martin