Shellac and other finish

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

KreherGuitars
Beefwood

Shellac and other finish

Post by KreherGuitars » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:09 pm

Recently finished my first French polish. Took a long time to get it looking nice. And I’m not really impressed with the finishing method. The slightest touch of a fingernail will make a crater. I have experience with nitro and prefer the end result. I don’t have access to a spray room anymore. So I’m looking for a brush or rub on finish. Is there a shellac that I can buy that is more dense? Or way to spice up the recipe to make it harder? And or is there recommendations for an alternative finish? I have been thinking about crystalac water based. Please give me all your recommendations and advice

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Shellac and other finish

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:09 pm

Try hard shellac. I use the hard shellac produced by Shines. Trevor Gore also uses it on his french polished instruments.
Martin

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:45 pm

I use Royal Lac, a modified shellac that is much more durable on some of my instrument. Using straight shellac I find that it takes about a month before the finish truly cures. Even longer if the finish is thick. Once cured shellac stands up to normal wear and tear.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:20 am

johnparchem wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:45 pm
I use Royal Lac, a modified shellac that is much more durable on some of my instrument. Using straight shellac I find that it takes about a month before the finish truly cures. Even longer if the finish is thick. Once cured shellac stands up to normal wear and tear.
Normal shellac is surprisingly durable if you give it time to cure properly. All of my early builds were french polished with straight shellac and are still looking ok after 5 years of use by a guitarist in an Indie band
Martin

yakka
Myrtle

Post by yakka » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:51 am