New member introduction

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mtodd
Wandoo

New member introduction

Post by mtodd » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:51 am

Hello everyone,

Thank you for welcoming my into your forum. I'm based in Adelaide and have recently started building my first guitar, a Hermann Hauser classical guitar, at a local guitar building course. I'm enjoying it very much and am looking forward to being able to tinker a bit at home too in the near future. I am a clarinettist who has had an interest in repairing and making clarinets for many years, however, that is more of a metal machining and jewellery making exercise. I'm new to woodworking and and looking forward to developing my woodworking and Lutherie skills. I took up learning the classical guitar about 7 months ago and quickly became interested in having a go at making a guitar.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being a part of this Luthier community.

Cheers,
Matt

simso
Blackwood

Re: New member introduction

Post by simso » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:05 pm

Morning Matt,

Good to see you starting the path of lutherie.

Re your clarinet, if you need any info yell out, I have made a couple of clarinets over the years, it was a passion of mine to go into production of an australian made clarinet, but....... business growth went in the direction of repairs more than manufacturing

Steve

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:11 pm

Welcome to the forum Matt. Im up in the hills. Not much going on in the workshop at present but youre welcome to pay a visit some time. Drop me a PM
Martin

mtodd
Wandoo

Post by mtodd » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:05 pm

simso wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:05 pm
Morning Matt,

Good to see you starting the path of lutherie.

Re your clarinet, if you need any info yell out, I have made a couple of clarinets over the years, it was a passion of mine to go into production of an australian made clarinet, but....... business growth went in the direction of repairs more than manufacturing

Steve
Thank you very much Steve. My clarinet making endeavours never really got off the ground and in an attempt to learn metal shaping/filing to make my own keywork patterns I did some jewellery making courses and ended up making more jewellery than clarinet keywork. In the end I decided to give up my instrumental teaching gig and went back to uni to study Social Work. I've been a social worker for 10 years since and never really got back to the clarinet making. My lathe has gathered rust and its a bit of a sorry story. Hopefully I have more success with the guitar :lol:

I'm a bit jealous of your music scene in Perth too.

Anyway, thank you for the welcome message

Cheers,
Matt

mtodd
Wandoo

Post by mtodd » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:06 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:11 pm
Welcome to the forum Matt. Im up in the hills. Not much going on in the workshop at present but youre welcome to pay a visit some time. Drop me a PM
Thank you very much kiwigeo. I'd love to see your workshop and meet another guitar maker. I'll definitely take you up on the offer.

Thank you for being welcoming.

Cheers,
Matt

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:32 am

Welcome, Matt. Look forward to seeing some of your builds in the future
Trent

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:51 pm

Welcome from across the ditch!! (the ditch to the east, not the ditch to the south, that is)

Have been down a similar road to you, but coming from a guitar background, started taking classical lessons after I started building guitars and soon realised I needed to build my self one, that was 10 years ago and I'm still playing it. I had never studied music before starting lessons so for me its been an amazing journey from simple pieces in the beginning to some fairly heavyweight Bach which I will probably never learn to play really really well, but playing Bach at all is better to me than playing almost anything else.

I've tried and failed to make a better classical than the first one I made for myself (using the cumpiano and natelson book) , so that journey is ongoing too.

The assistance and moral support (and in my case tonewood supply!!) on this forum is outstanding. I cannot imagine having built what I have without it.

We would all love to see how your build is progressing and to help when and if you need it.

Good luck with your build. Don't be shy!!
Richard

mtodd
Wandoo

Post by mtodd » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:50 pm

lamanoditrento wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:32 am
Welcome, Matt. Look forward to seeing some of your builds in the future
Thank you very much lamanoditrento. I will aim to take some photos of my current build to share.

Cheers,
Matt

mtodd
Wandoo

Post by mtodd » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:58 pm

seeaxe wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:51 pm
Welcome from across the ditch!! (the ditch to the east, not the ditch to the south, that is)

Have been down a similar road to you, but coming from a guitar background, started taking classical lessons after I started building guitars and soon realised I needed to build my self one, that was 10 years ago and I'm still playing it. I had never studied music before starting lessons so for me its been an amazing journey from simple pieces in the beginning to some fairly heavyweight Bach which I will probably never learn to play really really well, but playing Bach at all is better to me than playing almost anything else.

I've tried and failed to make a better classical than the first one I made for myself (using the cumpiano and natelson book) , so that journey is ongoing too.

The assistance and moral support (and in my case tonewood supply!!) on this forum is outstanding. I cannot imagine having built what I have without it.

We would all love to see how your build is progressing and to help when and if you need it.

Good luck with your build. Don't be shy!!
Thank you very much seeaxe,
I agree that learning the classical guitar has added another dimension to the guitar building. I am still very much a beginner both with playing and building but it does complete the experience from both perspectives. I have just completed my sixth 3hr guitar making class and whilst its going to be a long process its starting to take shape which is very satisfying. I'll try to take some decent photos to share.

Thank you again for the warm welcome.

Cheers,
Matt